04 Elantra Battery Smoking

My daughters Elantra's battery was smoking, it is dead now. She had it jumped off last night but it did not charge the battery. Anyone know what could make the battery smoke?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Something shorted. Could be the battery internally, could be some other circuitry. I hope you disconnected it to be safe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your alternator could be overcharging as well. If the voltage is not in the range of 13.5 to 15.5V with the engine running, check the main slow blow fuse. If it's blown, replace it. If not, look to replace the alternator. Either way, you'll probably need a new battery. It sounds like it's smoked. (Pun intended).

Reply to
hyundaitech

Lucky as heck it didn't blow up with Hydrogen gas being given off in that smoke!!! I wonder how much sulphuric acid is spread all over the engine compartment. It might pay to wash everything down with a weak solution of baking soda and water. If you see if bubbling, you know it's neutralizing the acid.

Reply to
Tom