05 Santa Fe CD/MP3 Player Malfunction?

Hello all,

I ended up buying the 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 GLS AWD, and LOVE IT! All was going peachy until I tried playing a MP3 disc. I inserted the disc properly, as I would a normal CD audio disc. The display would show the "READING" message and would freeze immediately thereafter. I would not be able to eject the disc from the player using the eject button. To remove the disc I had to pull and reinsert the fuse and then press the eject button. Of course my presets were wiped out, but I can reset those.

I re-copied the MP3 disc and reinserted it into the player. After a few moments, the player would revert back to the radio, and the disc would eject from the player on its own. I reinserted the disc and was able to listen to the songs on the disc.

This morning, using the same disc that played before, I inserted the disc into the player only to have it freeze again. I had to repeat the steps of removing and reinserting the fuse in order to eject the disc from the player. Since my presets were once again erased in this operation, I inserted the MP3 disc to see if that would make a difference. The freaking thing played!!! Now, I?m leaving it in there until I leave the office for the day, and if it plays before I start my drive home, it?ll remain in the player until I get home!!!

Is this problem normal? Have other people experienced this? HELP ME, PLEASE!!!!!

Reply to
Cardude

When did they start putting MP3 players in the Santa Fe?

When I was shopping for mine it was one of the options I really wanted. I was willing to downgrade from the CD changer if it was available. All 3 dealers in my area (SE Pennsylvania) claimed it wasn't an option.

I got the 3.5 LX and the Monsoon sound system is OK. I figured I'll change out to a after-market unit eventually.

Hope you figure out the problem with yours.

Jon

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Zeppo

I think this was a new radio for 2005. I've had some freaky issues with the older Monsoons-- enough that I'm not very happy with their performance.

It's possible the issue is with either the cd or the radio. If it's convenient, you could stop by the dealer and explain to them what's going on. They'd probably be willing to try your disc in another vehicle with the same radio to help determine whether the problem is with the radio or the disc. Try to determine, if you haven't already, the percentage of time it won't play. That'll help you figure out how many times to eject and reinsert in the test vehicle at the dealer to be sure it plays correctly all the time there.

Reply to
hyundaitech

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
Hello and thanks for replying to my post.

The CD/MP3 player was stock on my GLS. I?ve got an appointment booked at the dealership for early next week to have it looked at. The service guy said that he?s already had a couple of similar instances like this.

Check out Hyundai Canada?s website for information about the player in each of the Santy models.

Thanks again for the reply.

Reply to
Cardude

"" wrote: > I think this was a new radio for 2005. I've had some freaky > issues with > the older Monsoons-- enough that I'm not very happy with their > performance. > > It's possible the issue is with either the cd or the radio. > If it's > convenient, you could stop by the dealer and explain to them > what's going > on. They'd probably be willing to try your disc in another > vehicle with > the same radio to help determine whether the problem is with > the radio or > the disc. Try to determine, if you haven't already, the > percentage of > time it won't play. That'll help you figure out how many > times to eject > and reinsert in the test vehicle at the dealer to be sure it > plays > correctly all the time there.

Thanks for the tips. The disc played once after a lot of button fiddling in the, approximately, five or six times I tried it. I tried a different disc in the player and had the same problem, with zero percentage playing time. Your idea about trying it in a different vehicle is solid and hopefully will be the avenue the service tech takes when diagnosing the problem at the dealership. Is it too much to ask to have the stock unit swapped out for the upgraded model?? Thought so. Would my warranty be voided if I wished to replace the stock radio with a unit purchased elsewhere?

Reply to
Cardude

As this is an MP3 disc I assume you burned this yourself, right?

Is it possible you have inferior or defective media? Maybe try another brand of CD to see if it plays. I installed an aftermarket Kenwood in my daughters Taurus last year and had a heck of a time playing MP3s with the stack of no-name CDs I had purchased at a computer show (and played fine in her desktop computer). I burned some Rytek CD's I had at my place and they played fine in her Kenwood.

HTH, J> > I think this was a new radio for 2005. I've had some freaky

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Zeppo

Unfortunately, Hyundai's radio repairs are by swapping with a remanufactured unit. The dealer will need to return the same thing they take out. If I recall correctly, the Monsoon is the "top of the line" radio.

If you were to purchase a radio and have it installed, your warranty would not cover the radio you've purchased nor any damage caused by the radio or installation. It won't void the entire warranty on the vehicle.

Reply to
hyundaitech

What is the model number of your CD player?

Hint - it's in the Owners Manual.

Norm

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Norm

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
I?ve played discs with this media previously and have not encountered any problems with the playback of the songs. The quality of the burn is not in question, as the disc was written at a slower than maximum speed. I?m a bit reluctant to install an aftermarket deck because of warranty considerations. I have had the Santy for just over three months and do not want to void a long-term warranty by installing my own unit.

Reply to
Cardude

"" wrote: > Unfortunately, Hyundai's radio repairs are by swapping with a > remanufactured unit. The dealer will need to return the same > thing they > take out. If I recall correctly, the Monsoon is the "top of > the line" > radio. > > If you were to purchase a radio and have it installed, your > warranty would > not cover the radio you've purchased nor any damage caused by > the radio or > installation. It won't void the entire warranty on the > vehicle.

Just checking about the replacement. Good to know about installing my own deck, though. One problem would be the proprietary nature of factory stereos. They?re a specific size; unless you purchase a stereo that is an exact fit, it will not look the same as the factory integrated model. Unless, of course, an adapter/filler comes with the aftermarket unit.

Reply to
Cardude

Since you said that this was an "MP3 disk," I'm going to assume that the disk was not a commercially-pressed CD but, in fact, a CD that you'd burned on your computer. Yes?

In other words, you'd burned a CD using MP3 compression.

I recently was testing out the factory stereo in my used 2000 Sonata. My test disks were Sonys that I'd burned myself. There were skips in certain places.

I then experienced much more severe skipping on the same CDs in an RCA CD/alarm clock with a cheap CD drive. The bottom line is that the Sony blank CDR disks were defective -- way off physical tolerance. So far off that I can see them wobbling wildly in the transparent RCA drive.

Re-burning the same material on good known disks (no-nonesense professional-grade disks made by Taiyo Yuden) the problem was solved on the clock radio. I'll try the same solution for the Hyundai car stereo.

When it comes to blank CDRs, I've discovered that the brand name on the package is rarely the name of the actual manufacturer. In the case of the bad Sony disks -- these were actually made by Sony themselves. The Sony disks that I have that were made by another firm were actually better. Some burning programs have a utility mode that reveals the encoded true factory; that's how I know. In fact, I discovered Fuji disks that I have made by three different makers -- none of them Fuji. It seems that these jokers almost buy their disks on the spot market.

As with so many things, there's a lot of hype. And car stereo is so liberally larded with fat that it drips grease like an old-fashioned pastrami sandwich from a lower-east-side NYC deli. My questionable Sony disks, in fact, are made with the best long-life optical chemistry. However, all the excellence of the chemistry doesn't make up for lousy manufacturing tolerances or out-to-lunch quality control. I'll take a slightly shorter-lived product any day in return for reliability.

So, before you start haggling about a defective stereo, I recommend that you try a variety of disks. Note that when it comes to poor playback, the good home-component-grade mechanisms (and my professional-pedigree Plextor writer) do a much better job of playing funky disks than do marginal CD drives (such as the ubiquitous cheap CD drives without disk clamps)and what I'm begining to suspect are sub-standard mechanisms in many car stereo products.

Note: because of the age of this thread, I may decide to repost this to begin a new thread with it.

Please let's have some feedback here: what are peoples' experiences with CD skipping in their car stereos? What types of disks are better or worse in this regard?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Reply to
Jody

I doubt that. What Cardude probably did was "convert mp3 -> 44100 Hz

16-bit PCM stereo ; write resulting PCM data to CD-R in Red Book format." PCM generated from mp3 has artifacts, sure, but most people don't notice them if the person who encoded the mp3 used a decent bitrate.

You can burn mp3 files to an ISO9660+Joliet CD, but CDDA-only players won't play those. Cardude didn't specify what exactly he'd done, but he may not have known the many different ways you can burn data to a CD or the appropriate terms to describe those ways. *shrug*.

Sometimes, the medium is the muckup.

"cdrecord -atip" does that for free, although Joerg Schilling says that the manufacturer data may not be totally accurate since the Orange Book people want money for the latest manufacturer codes.

They probably do. Hey, end-users will buy junk because it's 10% cheaper than mostly-working stuff. Never buy the cheapest possible thing; the hassle when it breaks is usually not worth it. Spend a little more and get slightly better quality.

True enough. Plextor = rock, and their CD-RWs are fairly cheap now.

The CD skips I get occasionally in my Tiburon are almost entirely due to potholes or very cold weather. (For some reason, it skips if the temperature in the cabin is below about 40 F.) I've got a bunch of audio CDs burned according to the Red Book, on media from many different manufacturers, burned with a variety of CD-RW drives. I've had zero problems with the ones that were stored properly and not stepped on. The first audio CD I ever burned (early 2000, with a Philips 4x CD-RW and mid-grade media) is still playable. HTH,

Reply to
Dances With Crows

Now I'm confused.

Let's restate (for the record). An earlier poster "claimed" that the Monsoon System in his/her new Santa Fe played MP3 discs.

I have been unable to verify this.

Anyone care to chime in??

Norm

Reply to
Norm

my stereo in my '05 plays MP3 discs fine (and WMA too) Len

Reply to
Krazy Kanuck

I just picked up my new 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 GLS this past Friday. The CD in the standard stereo does not play MP3s. The stereo in the new Tucson, however, does play MP3s

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Vidsling