'05 Sonata Annoying Starting Problem Persists

Please list the possibilities of where the problem may be:
It usually starts on the third time.
Occasionally on the second time if it's warm.
A new fuel pump didn't solve the starting problem.
The dealer is befuddled.
Perhaps somebody reading this has the pertinent answer of why it doesn't start the first time, and usually takes 3 times.
And remember to not put/leave foot on the gas pedal when trying to start this car.
Robert Cohen wrote:

This last statement is true for virtually all fuel injected cars. You should NOT depress the accelerator during starting. About the only exception is very cold weather when some manufacturer's recommend depressing the pedal slightly.
It is pretty hard to diagnose the above without seeing the car. When you say your dealer is befuddled, is this a Hyundai dealership? How many times have you had the car in for them to look at it. Why was the fuel pump replaced? Was there something to indicate it being a problem?
When were the spark plugs and plug wires last replaced?
Matt
Well, lets start with some pertinent info. So far, I don't have a good idea of what it *is* doing when it doesn't start.
What engine and transmission do you have?
Does the engine crank?
If so, does it crank fast, slow, or normal?
If not, do you hear the starter solenoid click when you attempt to start?
Similarly, do you hear any relays click when you attempt to start?
Good folks, I cannot intelligently answer the questions: Plus, tt's my wife's car and she actually told the service advisor-writer not to discuss it with me, as we kid each other about such.
Anyhow, I see this q & a on the internet, and thus perceive that it's happened with at least one other (apparently) '05 Sonata:
#475 of 1474 Re: Sonata V6 Starting problem [satishkumar] by lastwraith Jun 23, 2005 (10:28 pm) Reply | E-mail Msg Replying to: satishkumar (Jun 16, 2005 2:56 pm)
Does it turn over slowly or just crank away and not "catch"? We will need more details to try and narrow things down for you.
There are a few "no-start" checklists to run down online, I just don't have my links handy. Basically you need spark, fuel, and compression though. If you are missing one (or barely providing it) things will get tricky. If you are totally clueless you can do simple things like check your battery's charge, take a look at how long your plugs have been in and what shape they are in, listen for your fuel pump, listen to the sound of your starter motor and check it if need be. There are just too many possibilities.
Good luck!
hyundaitech wrote:

My ex had a cold start problem on Toyota. Turns out she was stepping on the gas pedle when trying to start it, keeping her foot OFF the gas pedle fixed the problem
sqdancerLynn wrote:

Yes, just like the owner's manual says...
Matt