05 Sonata V6: P0449

Hello all:

As I was driving to work today, the check engine light came on. A few minutes later, I pulled in to the parking lot. I opened the hood, and found out that the window washer fluid cap was open (I had topped off the fluid the day before). I put it back on securely.

About 6 hours later, I started the car. The light was still on, so I decided to drive down to an AutoZone nearby. The diagnostic code was P0449. The description from hmaservice.com is:

P0449 EVAP Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit O O The ECM measures pressure in the fuel tank by means of tank pressure sensor during all engine operating states except engine stop and start. The DTC P0449 is set if pressure is lower than predetermined threshold.If same error code is set in the next driving cycle, the ECM illuminates the MIL.

Possible cause: Canister Air-Filter contamination / Faulty CCV

After the AutoZone guy showed me the code, I started the car again, and after driving for two blocks, the light went out.

The car has about 28,600 miles, and the 30K scheduled maintainence is coming up soon (I have been driving about 2K/month since I bought the car in December).

Finally, my question: Do you think it is worth a trip to the dealer to have them check it out, or would be OK to wait to see if the light comes back on again?

Thanks.

Sinan

Reply to
A. Sinan Unur

There's nothing critical here. This code means pretty much the description you have above-- there's too much vacuum in the fuel tank. That could be caused by a stuck open purge valve, a sticking closed canister close valve, or any restriction in the system, including liquid fuel in the evaporative lines or canister.

You've got plenty of warranty left. I wouldn't worry about it unless the lamp comes back. If you're in the dealer for another reason, let them know what happened and what code was stored and that the lamp went out on its own (you didn't erase the code). It's possible, but not likely, that they'll be able to figure out what was going on.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

That's what I was thinking too but it is nice to get feedback from you. Thanks for the advice, hyundaitech.

Sinan

Reply to
A. Sinan Unur