06 Sonata 3.3L oil change procedure questions

Random thought on a 3.3L V6 Sonata oil change.......should the NEW oil filter cartridge have a little fresh clean oil poured over it before it seats in the housing?
Also, should the cartridge housing be filled with some oil before the cap is put back on? The maintenance schedule says (I believe) the filter holds 0.3L of oil.

I wouldn't worry about oil on the catridge itself, but I do run a bead on the o-rings.
I guess you could put some oil in the housing before you seal it up, but it doesn't seem necessary to me. I've never done it myself and never need to add a drop of oil after filling the crankcase and letting it warm up a few minutes.
Eric
in

Oh yes definitely - standard procedure in my book. I don't know why the dealer told me the oil change would be hard....the only difficult thing is keeping everything around the filter clean......sure can get really messy.
I wasn't sure if that should be done, I didn't do it on either oil change (this has only been the second oil change). Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Probably so he can charge more. The only thing extra he has to do compared to other cars is remove the engine shroud to get to the filter. The place I go to charge $5 more for cars like that, plus $2 for the lighter oil since he buys the 10W-30 in bulk, but the 5W in bottles. That still puts him about $15 less than most dealers and he is 20 miles closer. The cartridge filters cost a bit more than the spin on types. That makes sense too since they have less metal they charge more for them. :)

I completely agree Edwin.......it's not all that hard to begin with. Common sense stuff. I think it's easier to change the oil in our 06 Sonata than it is in our 05 Tucson.
wrote in message

You describe my situation to a tee....closer cheaper quicker in town.
One question for you all - The dealer says their filter is different, and afetrmarket filters could lead to troubles, and warranty problems???
I took a quick look at Hyundai filter and the "quick lube" filter(made in Korea) side by side and they looked identical - decidedly low tech cylindrical paper element between to round open bases w/ no check valves or other gizmos
....did I miss something? PS This may have been bandied about before in the group, but having seen the filters I just didn't notice a difference, and inquiring minds want to know.

I've not been able to find any aftermarket filters yet. I've bought the Hyundai from the dealer for $8.95 and my oil change guy gives me an allowance for them.
Good chance that the filter you have is the same exact one made for Hyundai, but I've no way of telling. Just be sure to read the fine print on the warranty before you use them.
Take the oil filter canister cover loose but do not remove it. Then drain your oil and reinstall the plug. You'll find that when you get back to the canister the oil has drained out.
I've never had to do either. No problems.

I have changed my oil 3 times now, never had any oil in the filter cavity!. I always drain the crankcase, then take off the oilfilter cao.filter and there's never been any oil in the hole! all drained out!