'06 sonata brake squeel

Page 2 of 2

They do stupid things like accelerate and go full speed toward red traffic signals and stop signs only to slam on the brakes at the last second, they ride the brakes and the bumper of the car in front inching ever closer during stop-and-go traffic, and drive 80 or 90 or 100 in mixed traffic -can't do that for long without having to slow quickly, etc.
One of the best bits of driving advice I was given was to get the hell off the gas when the signal ahead was red. Saves gas and you coast toward it saving the brakes too. OK so you don't arrive as fast AT the light and you're not doing 70 when you get there, but that's the point.
On the other hand, if I have to panic stop, I am going to shove the pedal through the floor. It's much easier to replace some brake parts early instead of replacing a whole car or fixing a broken driver.
Fwiw back to the OP, my 06 Sonata is about to pass the 1 year and 10K miles mark. I have also had the squealing brake thing but as the others have said, it goes away in the first couple stops. It has stopped bothering me.

Exactly. Cruise control creates some bad habits.
My favorite is a friend that has a big ole Escalade. He cruises at 75-80. Instead of tapping the brake and coasting down, he jams on the brakes at full speed. I can visualize the Space Shuttle's heat shield scrubbing off energy and becoming red hot. His brake pads only last about 20K miles. My hat is off to Cadillac for making great rotors that stand up to him.
-
Bob

The guy is an idiot, but he'd probably do the same without cruise control. I use it all the time when practical. Difference is, I pay attention when I drive and I'll even tap the brake to knock it off to cost down a bit.

I would wager that many of the warped rotor problems are because of unnecessary high speed stops. I have never had warped rotors on any of my personal vehicles. 3 or my wife's last 4 vehicles have had warped rotors. So far her 06 Sonata's rotors are holding up fine. Maybe that's because I busted her jamming on the brakes at high speed, and told her to coast before braking. :) -
Bob
Bob Adkins wrote:

How do you know they are warped? Have you measured them with a dial indicator?
Matt

I'll act my age if you'll act yours. Deal? :D -
Bob
Bob Adkins wrote:

I have been. I'm glad to hear that you are joining me!
Matt
Bob Adkins wrote:

Why?

Why? Because you would rather parse words and create an argument than to THINK about what I really meant. -
Bob
Bob Adkins wrote:

No, you simply made a statement that makes no sense to me and I was curious as to your reasoning ... if any. I guess there was none.
Matt

Cobber, I ahve 8000 on my 07 Nf and only 20% worn according to dealer on Friday and although on country roads thet get used HARD when dodging wildlife and wandering stock as other posters hint not a common problem . But check the nut behind the wheel is some times appropriate but probably not in your case :)