06 Sonata Diesel

My almost 2 year old '06 Sonata with 35000 miles sounds like a diesel when it is cold, (not as loud but sounds similar.) after 4 or 5 miles it quiets down. It runs good, just noisy until it warms. Any thoughts?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Yes, leave it overnight at the dealer so they can check it out when it is cold. That is why they have a warranty.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It could be that you are not using a filter with an anti-drain back valve. That would reduce the amount of oil to the valve lifters during initial startup, hence the clatter. I've used several brands (Bosch, Fram-upscale, and Hyundai) of filters and not heard the problem; however, Hyundai warns of the possibility.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Only Hyundai filters. I'm wondering if it could be the timing chain tensioner?

Reply to
Rob

Could be. I seem to remember Hyundaitech mentioning problems with tensioners.

Reply to
Tom