06 Sonata, Great road trip.

I just went on a 2500 mile road trip with our 06 Sonata LX. We went from central Fl. to Philly. With stops in D.C. and Charleston S.C.. I averaged 27
mpg with a average speed of 68 mph. We drove about 80 mph on the interstate. In South Carolina the outside temp was 101 and the A/C worked perfect, the wife had a blanket in the back seat so she could sleep. (The windows are tinted though. (Matt)) My only complaint is that the car was like a young horse, we couldn't keep'er slowed down. Thank God for cruise control. My wife does not like cruise control, I woke up to see 100 on the speedo, not to mention the few 90s I saw between naps. She said she did not know she was going that fast and she was trying to stay at 80. The 1800 or so wma's on the 6 cd player kept us listening to "our" music the whole trip. I would give the car a 9.5 on long trips. It would be a 10 if I could slow it down.
Rob
And after 100 miles on the ODO, we are getting 12.2 MPG on the trip computer :-)
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

You better get that trip computer fixed! My 4x4 Chevy truck gets a lot better than 12.2!!
Matt
And

I would expect that the 12.2 includes some aggressive test drives at the dealer. I have not reset it yet. But on my way to work this morning it went from 12.2 to 16.1.
Also, I noticed that the idiots at the dealer never finished prepping the engine compartment and left a plastic seal over the air filter unit. I expect that may have been hurting things somewhat.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

That is a big move in the right direction. I get 22 with my Chrylser minivans so I'm curious how the Entourage performs. I may already own my last minivan, but you never know! Even though I hated buying the first one, after having two of them, I've come to appreciate their utility along with decent economy given that you can haul 7 people in reasonable comfort.

Well, when you get them to sell you a vehicle at a loss, they're going to make up the differency any way they can! :-)
Matt

This is my first and I can say that I am already very pleased with the room and seating options available. And I filled the gas tank on the way home from work to get a feel for what 1/4 tank would cost, and to calculate the mileage by hand. I took 5.88 gallons for 112 miles. Comes to 19.05 MPG and I am fairly sure that the tank was not completely filled by the dealer. But that is already better than most SUV's.

I guess you have a point there :P Loss my hiney.
Eric
And

That's about what I had planned for. Did you travel off-peak hours? Sorry for all the questions, but with two little ones (one is a baby) I am trying to avoid as much stress as possible :-)

You are probably right. Being a part-time meteorologist I take my data too seriously sometimes. You should see the instrument box I have at my house to take readings!! Took me almost 4 weeks to build and install it. It is actually bigger and better than the one used by the National Weather Service at their Mount Holly, NJ, location.
Funny how I am so anal over some things but could care less about others.
Eric

Stay away from D.C. during rush hours, no problems the rest of the way. You do NOT need to take the Richmond or Jacksonville bypass the traffic is not that bad. Orlando traffic is nearly as bad as D.C. but your drive will be over then. You must do "Islands of Adventure". Much better than Disney. (If you like rides.)

Thanks. We have family in the Richmond area and travel that far frequently, so I know all about that dreaded D.C. area. Early in '05 we got stuck in a 10-mile rush hour backup that almost made me want to shoot myself - and that was only with ONE kid :-) Really you can sit still all the way from D.C. to Richmond, or vice versa, or you can get lucky.
Thanks for the tips.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

We all have our cross to bear! :-)
Matt

So true. Guess it could be worse :-0
Eric

You are the 2nd meteorologist I have met online that owns an 06 Sonata. Do you guys buy cars by formulas? (I certainly do!) :)
--
Bob