06' Sonata Hiway Trip MPG

I just took my LX on a 2000 mile round trip with 98% being interstate driving. I averaged 27.3 mpg for the trip, with the cruise set on 79mph. Computer had my average speed at 66mph. Not great MPG but I was completely happy with the car. I loved the trip. ( I went alone, No wife and kids) It performed outstanding. Plenty of power and nice and quiet. LOVED it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

The LX is rated 20/30 by the EPA, right? If so, that isn't too bad given the speed you were driving. I'd guess if you'd have driven closer to 60 you would have been close to the 30 highway rating.

I've yet to take my GL on a long trip, but I'm running 27.5 or so commuting to work. I really doubt I will break 30 on a trip, but it'll be fun to find out. Since my commute is 70% or so highway, I was really hoping to be closer to the 70% point between the 24/34 EPA ratings which would be 31. I'd even be happy to break 30! So, I'm not real pleased with the mileage thus far.

Overall, the Sonata is a pretty good car and a good value, but it does have some serious nits that I hope Hyundai will address and fuel economy is one of them. But this isn't nearly as bothersome as that )(#*$)@ electronic throttle!! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:UPkTf.7348$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Matt, I know the general area you live in, but I am not sure if you had the same warm weather we had a week or two ago, but we were in the 60's and 70's for a few days. I just happened to fill my tank right before the warm weather hit. My mileage increased 3.6 MPG, to just shy of 26 MPG, for that tank. And I didn't change my driving one bit.

I think the warm weather is going to make some big changes to our mileage.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Yes, we had that short spell also, but I didn't see any change in my mileage. And now winter is back...

I'm still hoping for that as well.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

what's this "electronic throttle" stuff??? Something else for me to worry about?

Reply to
Deck

Aye, it'll cause cancer of the foot it will. :)

I think just about all new cars have "throttle by wire" now, but I may be wrong.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

The throttle has no mechanical connection to the fuel injection system as in the old days with cables and/or linkages. The throttle position is measured electronically and this is read by the engine control computer which then controls the throttle plate position via a motor and the fuel injector via PWM, at least this is what I believe is the case. I just got my service manuals a couple of days ago and haven't studied this in gory detail yet.

I'm not worried about mine in the sense of it going bad, although I do trust a cable more than rheostats and motors. My complaint is that the throttle is overly sensitive and lacks the tactile feedback present in mechanical throttles.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I think so too Eric. The first trip I took of any length (125 m) with temperature above 60 F , my mileage went up by 2+ mpg (28.5)

Reply to
Darby OGill

Temps and fuel economy... and tire pressure. I'm starting to think tire pressure is a significant part of the cold weather equation (tire pressure can drop with the temperature). Winter average on my 06 was down which was not a big surprise. On a day in the 30s I checked tire pressure and found the tires down about 3 or 4 psi. After returning the tires to 30psi I noticed my fuel economy is back to averaging above

21 mpg on two recent tanks.
Reply to
GeoUSA