07 Elantra SE Mileage

Page 2 of 2
I've been underwhelmed with the Corolla. I inspected a couple as used cars. My take is that the Elantra is quieter, sturdier, more comfortable, and more powerful.
hyundaitech wrote:

I looked a several Corolla's before buying my Sonata. The main thing I disliked about the Corolla was the "Italian" driving position. When I got the seat back to where my legs were comfortable, I had to extend my arms almost completely to reach the wheel. I couldn't even rest my elbow on the window sill, let alone the arm rest and still reach the wheel. If I got the wheel reach right, then my knees were stuffed into the dash. I couldn't drive a Corolla 30 miles comfortably let along take a 300 mile trip.
The other thing is that Toyota wanted $16,500 for a Corolla and I got my Sonata for $16,700! It wasn't a tough choice at all.
Matt
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:42:43 -0600, "hyundaitech"

I've never even driven a Corolla...it was just a thought, but based on economy the Corolla wins hands down. Fact is, I am a Hyundai guy right now, I just wish i bought the Sonata...especially because I bought the Elantra with economy in mind.
********* http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandIDx9610

One thing no one has mentioned is whether their Elantras have automatic or manual transmissions. I have an 03 Elantra with a manual 5 speed - best mileage to date has been 34 and that tank included a little city driving.

The Corolla, not the new one, has a gas sipping low hp engine, and does indeed get impressive mileage. I've only driven one, a rental for a week, and the mileage was truly amazing, went forever on a tank, the needle moving slower than a snail. But it's going to be a couple/few thousand more than the Elantra, which won't ever be made up in the extra gas mileage.
My 06' Elantra gets 35+ on the highway, and an abysmal 20-21 in solid stop and go driving. Mixed is 27, about what most others get.
I've decided I shouldn't complain about the mileage any more, if I want a car that -in the city- gets -great-, not good, great mileage, a hybrid Civic or Prius is the only way to go. Then feel great about the mileage, and ignore the $$$$ extra.
Dang compromises!