'07 Elantra: What is EPS?

When I start my '07 Elantra, a light for "EPS" flashes on the lower right side of the dash. I can't find anything about it in the Owner's Manual. Anybody know what EPS is? Thanks.

Reply to
Fantine

Electronic power steering.

I'm guessing you haven't attempted checking your fluids yet. If you nose around the engine compartment, you'll see that you have no power steering pump. Your power assist is achieved through an electric motor attached to the steering column.

I think the idea is a no-brainer and don't see why more cars haven't gone to this. Not only are there fewer parts, but most of the issues with reliability (belt, leaks) have been eliminated.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks! I've only had the car since November. I've figured out where the oil, wiper fluid and coolant tanks are, but that's about it.

Reply to
Fantine

It also increases fuel mileage, since there's no parasitic power steering pump.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

your fluids yet. If you

you have no power

electric motor attached

no-brainer and don't see why more cars haven't

there fewer parts, but most of the issues with

been eliminated.

power

I have replaced the steering coloum in my 07 elantra once already due to the electronic power steering going out completely. I replaced it with a used coloum. It worked fine for 2 weeks and the eps light came back on again. The dealer says the problem is in the control module that is attached to the coloum. the module is not serviceable. They can't reprogram the module. They can't replace the module. They can replace the coloum with a new one at a very high price. They cant find any reason why the power steering keeps having trouble. At this point the steering works ok. The light is just a reminder of what may happen again. I bought this car wrecked and repaired it. My wife drove it 18 months trouble free. There is no warranty because it had a previous salvage title. No more eps for me, give me pumps and belts.

Reply to
dandmauto1