07 Sonata Dash Creek Noise..Hyundai Tech...HELP!

Took my 1 month old Sonata in this morning for its first Mobil 1 synthetic oil change and had them look into a creeking noise that I have been experiencing for several weeks. First thought it was coming from where the headliner meets the windshield. Found that it is actually coming from where the dash meets the lower windshield. The plastic trim with the light sensor on the right and alarm LED on the left is making the noise.

Dealer wants to remove the entire dash and I am worried that they will only increase the opportunity for more to go wrong and new creeks develop that don't exist today. I suggested they remove the windshield to get to the top dash piece and they refused. Stated that they wouldn't get Hyundai approval and will just remove the entire dash...no big deal.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I want the annoying creek gone but hate the idea of having the entire dash removed when we know it could easily be gotten to without the windshield.

Any Hyundai Techs out there...HELP!

Reply to
cableguy3

I'd rather have the dash removed than the windshield. Why screw around with a perfectly good seal that may not be so perfect in six months? Even after the windshield is removed, they may have to fiddle with the dash to eliminate the noise.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Removing the windshield won't help them get behind the dash, which is really where they need to be. If you can get to the seams of the piece generating the noise, you can try spraying some lube into the seams. But if that doesn't work, pulling the dash will be necessary to locate and repair.

And you have justification about perhaps causing additional problems. I've had one of these dashes out on a car with an air bag deployment. The clips are stubborn and fly everywhere. Chances of it going back in exactly like factory are pretty close to zero. Will it be okay? Probably. But you should weigh the inconvenience of the noise in your decision.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech, thank you for your prompt reply. You are mistaken in that removing the windshield will allow them to get to exactly where they need to be. They do not need to get behind the dash but only need to access the top trim piece that contains the light sensor and alarm LED. As I stated, the piece making the noise is the upper back plastic piece that attaches to the top side of the dash. Removal of the windshield will allow them to access that upper piece easily for removal and re-installation assuming a clip was broken upon installation and is causing the noise.

You confirmed my thoughts on having them remove the dash. I know that it will never be the same so I took action to fix the problem on my own. I took a small piece of wood (from a paint stick) and covered it with black electrical tape and wedged it down to apply pressure on the upper dash trim piece. It is now as quiet as can be and only I know its there:)

Thank you again for your feedback and I know we all appreciate your insight and assistance.

Reply to
cableguy3

Your description didn't sound quite like I remember things-- I've only pulled one dash out of the new Sonata-- so I trekked up to the showroom to have a peek.

While I agree the dealer can get to the panel by removing the windshield, I don't think they can remove it. I believe it screws onto the dash from underneath.

If you're happy with your repair, I think that's the best of all worlds. If a customer found out we used something like your paint stick wedge to repair their noise, they'd most likely be very upset. I'm sure this is why the dealer's first instinct was to remove the dash and tighten whatever was loose.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks again for your help and insight. You may be correct in how it must be accessed but when I read that you, too, were concerned that it would not go back together 100%, only I know what I have done and I have the peace of mind knowing that nothing else negative will result from my repair.

May I ask what state you are located in? You have been very helpful!

Reply to
cableguy3

I'm located in Maryland. And I'm glad I've helped.

Reply to
hyundaitech