0w 20 Oil??

Page 2 of 2
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I agree 100% that 100 F isn't a "fall off the cliff" number. That wasn't my point. The point is that the 10W30 shows a higher temperature suitability than does 5W30 even though the "hot" viscosity number is the same for both oils.
I was getting my BMW motorcycle reading for riding and decided to check the owner's manual for it and found the exact same thing. It shows two multigrade oils with the same upper end viscosity number, but different "winter" numbers and the oil with the lower "winter" number is also limited on the high temperature end whereas the other oil isn't. I think these were heavier grades with a 40 or 50 weight upper end, but the chart was exactly analogous to the Chrysler chart. So, I personally do not think one can say that just because the upper viscosity numbers for two different range multigrade oils are the same, that they have the same performance in hot conditions.