$10,000 Engine?

Page 1 of 3
OK, here's the CLiff's notes version.
My firend has a 2004 Santa Fe GLS with the 3.5L and 4WD. The other day here engine "blew up". since she hadn't had the coolant changed acording
to schedule the dealership is trying to nail her for not following the maintenance schedule and are telling her it will cost $10,000 to replace the engine (presummably with a new engine, not rebuilt). She'd just had the car at the dealership for service about a month ago.
Question 1: $10,000 for the engine? Does that sound . . . um, steep?
Question 2: Any advice/other people's experience that can help her to get out of this situation in the best way to get the dealership to foot the bill?
Thanks in advance for any help,
-- SUB

Unless the entire coolant reservoir and ALL the coolant fluid was completely gone, there's no WAY it should have blown up because of overheating. The driver should have gotten dash lights indicating overheating or check engine at the very least. If the driver was ignoring check engine and it blew up because of negligence, it's possible the mechanic could pull codes or logs from the OBD and prove it was caused by negligence. I'd say get a readout from the OBD and see if there's any logs that could indicate when the problem happened.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

All of that does not matter. The service manual states that coolant should be changed at 60,000 miles. If it is full and in perfect condition but not changed, they can deny coverage if the engine blows for any reason at 60,001 miles.
From the Hyundai web site COOLANT: FOR THE FIRST TIME, REPLACE THE COOLANT AT 60,000 MILES (96,000 KM) OR 60 MONTHS, AFTER THAT, REPLACE IT EVEY 30,000 MILES (48,000) OR 24 MONTHS.
wrote in message

Certainly they can.... but if they play games on technicalities, they can kiss their hard-won customer base good bye in a heart beat. I say that as a first time Hyundai buyer (2007 Sonata). In my mind, I'll judge Hyundai based on my first time experience. Buick lost my loyalty after my second Park Avenue turned out to be an underwelming experience. I switched to Cadillac in 2002 as a result.

locks were (still are) acting up, still under the 50K mileage, but over the 5 year warranty clause, by about two weeks. The dealer refused the free service. Next car will be another make from another dealer. BTW I had all the specified services, all changes etc., done by the same dealer on time.

Now that would piss me off. Wear items are mileage related but things like door locks (in my case a heated seat in a GM car) are a different category. Two week over for a dealer serviced car usually falls into the gray area and a good dealer will try to help. Evidently yours does not want repeat business.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Where do you draw the line if not at the time specified? If two weeks over is OK, how about 1 month? If 1 month is OK, how about 6 months? If 6 months, how about 1 year?
Matt
wrote in message

Matt,
You make many valid legal points. However we vote with our pocket books. If the manufacturer appears to the average consumer to be unreasonable, the manufacturer will undoubtedly lose at the next election. To paraphrase what I said before: Hyundai may well be legally right -- but dead right the next time around.
DonC wrote:

I'm not talking about legality. I'm talking about practicality. Where does the dealer draw the line? If he repairs your car for free when it is two weeks out of warranty, how does he turn me down when I'm 1 month out? After all, I'm only two weeks later than you who was only two weeks later than the warranty expiration.
Matt

Yup, he's got a tough decision to make and I'm not going to say where he should draw the line. He'll have to decide how badly he wants to retain customers. But it's clear to me what side of the line 2 weeks falls.
This all brings to mind a maybe unrelated incident I experienced maybe 20 years ago. The dealer was Story Oldsmobile in Lansing, Michigan. At the time they were the largest Oldsmobile dealer in the world -- bar none.
Well, I took my Olds in for some maintenance and tried to set up an appointment. Oop, forgot to say their arrogance was also the biggest in the world : ) I was told they did maintenance on a first-come-first-served basis. Okay with me. But you had to leave your car there and they couldn't tell you an approximate performance time. It could have set in their lot for a few hours or several days.
Told them that was a stupid way to handle maintenance and customer service. They could have cared less.
Their business plummeted long before Oldsmobile went out of business. Actually, Olds changed the way they handled employee vehicle purchases which killed their golden goose.
I saw an ad recently which said "Customer Service is not just a department name at ..." (don't recall the company name)
Lot of truth in that statement.
Matt Whiting wrote:

The way I understand it is that dealers who might have difficulty substantiating a warranty claim to corporate are reluctant to approve a repair. If the claim is clear cut, they are more then happy to approve the repair as they are paid full rate by the mfgr. Repair and service work, in and out of warranty, generates far more profit for a dealer then does car sales.
Each dealership will play the percentages in its own way when it comes down to customer service verses maintaining a relationship with corporate.
For me, who I buy from is a more important consideration the bottom line price.
I may be wrong, but if you are not required to have warranty work done at the place of purchase, why not try some other dealers? Maybe one will opt for your side of the fine line.
L.

Dealers do it often. I've had a few little things done at NC by the dealer that were just over the line. So do the manufacturers make allowances if contacted. In a cases like the doorlocks, the dealer should have at least made an effort to keep a long time customer that has all his service done there.
Legally, they were 100% correct to deny free service. Businesswise, it was a dumb move. Giving the customer 30 minutes of time by a tech can make the difference between a sale and no sale.
As for the new engine, that line is much harder than a door lock line.
Personal experience. I had some service done on my AC after the normal period. I bought two more cars from him. Bought another car and had a time/mileage incident and the dealer was no help. I bought the next car elsewhere.
.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What constitutes "just over the line?"
Matt
wrote in message

In this case with the AC, an entire winter. The one year expired in October but they fixed it in the following spring. It was strictly the dealer's discretion to keep a customer happy and it paid off in selling more cars.

For $10,000 you could buy a small new car or a decent downpayment on an '08 Santa Fe. Using hyundaiparts.net parts search, the engine should cost 5270.70 plus $527 shipping. Have a look yourself. http://www.hyundaiparts.net/partscat.html
It's at least couple days worth of labor but $10,000 is WAY high. Your friend could always find out if it's covered under insurance and file a claim. The deductible might be cheaper than replacement cost.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Keep in mind that's $1500 below MSRP. Furthermore, if you're in certain geographic areas, dealers will charge significantly more than MSRP to cover their own costs of doing business in that location.
Also, you'll need to add the labor for replacing the engine. I can testify that this is *not* a fun job.

Local taxes and MSRP go hand in hand. I live on the border of two counties. I go into one and it's at 9% sales tax. I go into the other, 7.5. I bought my 02 Sonata in the 7.5% county but I lived in the 9% so I got a lovely letter saying I had to pay the difference. Nice eh?
On a good day with all planets in alignment, how long does it take to replace an engine in man-hours?
- Thee Chicago Wolf
This particular engine, I'd count on 1.5 to 2 days. Lots of hard-to-get-to stuff to take off prior to dropping engine/trans. And lots of stuff to take off even after dropped. I did one once, and it definitely was not fun.

How many miles on the vehicle? It's not possible to offer any realistic advice without understanding a lot more about the situation.
As for the cost of that engine job - that seems wayyyy high to me. But then, exactly what did the quote say?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net