$10,000 Engine?

OK, here's the CLiff's notes version.

My firend has a 2004 Santa Fe GLS with the 3.5L and 4WD. The other day here engine "blew up". since she hadn't had the coolant changed acording to schedule the dealership is trying to nail her for not following the maintenance schedule and are telling her it will cost $10,000 to replace the engine (presummably with a new engine, not rebuilt). She'd just had the car at the dealership for service about a month ago.

Question 1: $10,000 for the engine? Does that sound . . . um, steep?

Question 2: Any advice/other people's experience that can help her to get out of this situation in the best way to get the dealership to foot the bill?

Thanks in advance for any help,

-- SUB

-- Message posted using

information at

phillystyle

Unless the entire coolant reservoir and ALL the coolant fluid was completely gone, there's no WAY it should have blown up because of overheating. The driver should have gotten dash lights indicating overheating or check engine at the very least. If the driver was ignoring check engine and it blew up because of negligence, it's possible the mechanic could pull codes or logs from the OBD and prove it was caused by negligence. I'd say get a readout from the OBD and see if there's any logs that could indicate when the problem happened.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

For $10,000 you could buy a small new car or a decent downpayment on an '08 Santa Fe. Using hyundaiparts.net parts search, the engine should cost 5270.70 plus $527 shipping. Have a look yourself.

It's at least couple days worth of labor but $10,000 is WAY high. Your friend could always find out if it's covered under insurance and file a claim. The deductible might be cheaper than replacement cost.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

How many miles on the vehicle? It's not possible to offer any realistic advice without understanding a lot more about the situation.

As for the cost of that engine job - that seems wayyyy high to me. But then, exactly what did the quote say?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thats waaayyyyyy too high , believe it or not check Ebaymoters , I found a new crate motor for my 01 Elantra for .....$895! Also do a google search for 'crate motors' Those tend to only run about $2k from engine rebuilder company , they usually come with full comprehensive warranties .Often they buy up the production overrun motors for resale .

Reply to
Mad E Moe

All of that does not matter. The service manual states that coolant should be changed at 60,000 miles. If it is full and in perfect condition but not changed, they can deny coverage if the engine blows for any reason at 60,001 miles.

From the Hyundai web site COOLANT: FOR THE FIRST TIME, REPLACE THE COOLANT AT 60,000 MILES (96,000 KM) OR 60 MONTHS, AFTER THAT, REPLACE IT EVEY 30,000 MILES (48,000) OR 24 MONTHS.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Certainly they can.... but if they play games on technicalities, they can kiss their hard-won customer base good bye in a heart beat. I say that as a first time Hyundai buyer (2007 Sonata). In my mind, I'll judge Hyundai based on my first time experience. Buick lost my loyalty after my second Park Avenue turned out to be an underwelming experience. I switched to Cadillac in 2002 as a result.

Reply to
DonC

Honestly, this is a situation where HyundaiTech is at his best. Oh where, oh where, has Mr. HyundaiTech gone?

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If the car was serviced in the dealership, they should take care about coolant change, as well as other maintenance. Only if customer insist not to follow scheduled maintenance, then he or she will take responsibility. Hopefully it is not the case here...

Reply to
gnekker

**Just to reiterate other member's posts, what's the mileage on the Santa Fe and has she had all of the proper maintenance done? Did she have the maintenance done at the dealership (they'll have a record of it)? Did she tell them to not do the coolant change?

My dad (old coot that can fix everything *and* works at a Hyundai dealership) said that they wouldn't replace the engine with a new one. They'll take out the blown engine, take it apart, keep what's good and replace what's broken. He said that he can't recall them ever using a complete new or refurbished engine replacement. (I don't know if this varies by dealer).

When I explained that the dealership was blaming it on coolant, he said: Anti-freeze? They're trying to blame it on anti-freeze? And they checked it a month before? They're full of shit! Tell her to get a new dealership! So I replied that she probably had a properly-filled reservoir but didn't have the coolant change done before 60K. He said: They're still full of shit!! :) If that engine was just checked a month earlier and there's coolant in it, the engine is not going to blow due to not having your coolant changed. He also said it just sounded like a bullshit excuse.

Of course and most importantly, this is all predicated on the fact her engine blew suddenly and that she did not ignore warnings that her car was giving her and drive it into the ground (as Thee Chicago Wolf explained). Dad said that she should call corporate or demand the number for that region's Hyundai rep and the Hyundai dealership must give it to her.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Reply to
razz

Guys, read the fine print. This has nothing to do with the coolant level. It has everything to do with adhering to the terms of the warranty. The factory says you must change the coolant at 60,000 miles. No change, warranty void. Simple legal terms.

Razz, I'll give you $10,000. All you have to do is pick it up in person here in northeast CT by 7:15. At 7:16 you are too late. Deal? Same with the warranty. Do what they require or it is void.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And when I get ready to replace my Sonata, I'll buy a Camry, or Accord --- anything but a Hyundai. And I'll advice my friends and family to NOT BUY a Hyundai because they don't live up to the spirit of their warranty. You're right: They're RIGHT -- DEAD RIGHT.

Reply to
DonC

And there are stories of how good and how bad Toyota and Honda are also. One thing that lead me to buy a Hyundai was a bad experience with warranty on my Buick.

Your money, your choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is the spirit of their warranty?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

**In this case, it's the spirit of Warranty Past. :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Pretty simple. "We've got the best warranty in the business!" And a "no worry" assumption.

Isn't that how their ads come across to you?

Reply to
DonC

Yes, on the best warranty part, but, no, on the no worry assumption. I also assume that I need to maintain the car per the manufacturer;s recommendation if I wish to maintain warranty coverage. That is true for every manufacturer I know of. Some will do "good will" repairs outside the warranty period for known problems, but even this typically requires that the car have been properly maintained.

A warranty is a contract and most contracts place responsibilities on at least two parties. If either party doesn't fulfill their responsibility,then the contract is void. We can argue whether or not the failure to change the coolant was a factor in this case, and I can't see how that alone could have been a factor, however, that is largely irrelevant to the fact that the warranty requirements were not met. If one part of the maintenance wasn't performed, what else wasn't done? I suspect that we aren't hearing the full story here...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

And you expect any other warranty to be different? Hold fast though - this story is far from over, If the OP ever re-posts here, it will be interesting to hear what Hyundai's official position on this is - not some dealership's opinion.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

So you are saying that if my Santa Fe transmission fails at 65000 miles and I cannot prove I had the fluid checked at 25,000 miles but did have it checked at 35,000 miles and it was OK, then the warranty is void??? I don't think any court in the land was stand behind that decision.

Jim

Reply to
jim