$10,000 Engine?

Page 2 of 3
Honestly, this is a situation where HyundaiTech is at his best. Oh where, oh where, has Mr. HyundaiTech gone?

If the car was serviced in the dealership, they should take care about coolant change, as well as other maintenance. Only if customer insist not to follow scheduled maintenance, then he or she will take responsibility. Hopefully it is not the case here...
As a mechanic for many years, I have never, EVER seen an engine blown because the coolant wasn't changed, especially on a 3 year old vehicle.

Guys, read the fine print. This has nothing to do with the coolant level. It has everything to do with adhering to the terms of the warranty. The factory says you must change the coolant at 60,000 miles. No change, warranty void. Simple legal terms.
Razz, I'll give you $10,000. All you have to do is pick it up in person here in northeast CT by 7:15. At 7:16 you are too late. Deal? Same with the warranty. Do what they require or it is void.

And when I get ready to replace my Sonata, I'll buy a Camry, or Accord --- anything but a Hyundai. And I'll advice my friends and family to NOT BUY a Hyundai because they don't live up to the spirit of their warranty. You're right: They're RIGHT -- DEAD RIGHT.

And there are stories of how good and how bad Toyota and Honda are also. One thing that lead me to buy a Hyundai was a bad experience with warranty on my Buick.
Your money, your choice.
DonC wrote:

What is the spirit of their warranty?
Matt

**In this case, it's the spirit of Warranty Past. :)
kaboomie

Pretty simple. "We've got the best warranty in the business!" And a "no worry" assumption.
Isn't that how their ads come across to you?
DonC wrote:

Yes, on the best warranty part, but, no, on the no worry assumption. I also assume that I need to maintain the car per the manufacturer;s recommendation if I wish to maintain warranty coverage. That is true for every manufacturer I know of. Some will do "good will" repairs outside the warranty period for known problems, but even this typically requires that the car have been properly maintained.
A warranty is a contract and most contracts place responsibilities on at least two parties. If either party doesn't fulfill their responsibility,then the contract is void. We can argue whether or not the failure to change the coolant was a factor in this case, and I can't see how that alone could have been a factor, however, that is largely irrelevant to the fact that the warranty requirements were not met. If one part of the maintenance wasn't performed, what else wasn't done? I suspect that we aren't hearing the full story here...
Matt

So you are saying that if my Santa Fe transmission fails at 65000 miles and I cannot prove I had the fluid checked at 25,000 miles but did have it checked at 35,000 miles and it was OK, then the warranty is void??? I don't think any court in the land was stand behind that decision.
Jim
jim wrote:

I don't have a Santa Fe and I don't know what the maintenance requirements are for one so I can't comment on the above scenario.
Matt
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080201060408030901000800 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
jim wrote:

A warranty is a contract and most contracts place responsibilities on at least two parties. If either party doesn't fulfill their responsibility,then the contract is void. We can argue whether or not the failure to change the coolant was a factor in this case, and I can't see how that alone could have been a factor, however, that is largely irrelevant to the fact that the warranty requirements were not met. If one part of the maintenance wasn't performed, what else wasn't done? I suspect that we aren't hearing the full story here...
--------------080201060408030901000800--
<DIV>Afraid that any court will stand behind.<BR>First, the manual state that it must be CHANGED at 30K, not just cheked, then again CHANGED it at 60K, 90K<BR>you miss any, you are out of luck, period, that's the law, and yes, it's fair, you do your part, they do their part.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Let me change the example!&nbsp; I have my transmission fluid changed at 25,000 miles instead of 30,000 and it goes out at 58,000.&nbsp; Since I didn't have it changed at 30,000, is the warranty voided?&nbsp; Or is it voided because 33,000 miles were traveled without changing it?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What if I had it changed at 30,100 miles, would that void it?&nbsp; 29,900?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What if the first 3,500 miles following an oil change is all highway mileage and then the next 3,500 are city driving and I change the oil at 7001.&nbsp; Does that void the warranty?&nbsp; Get real!!!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Jim</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML> ------=

If what we hear is 100% true, then Hyundai is not a "good will" manufacturer and I want to deal with the "some" that are. The 200 miles is well within "good will" range, IMHO.
But I can't disagree with your last sentence : )

And you expect any other warranty to be different? Hold fast though - this story is far from over, If the OP ever re-posts here, it will be interesting to hear what Hyundai's official position on this is - not some dealership's opinion.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Or, as you pointed out in your first post, 60 months-this is an important clause, as many people have cars that are over 60 months old, but still under 50K mileage. My 2001 Elantra is just coming up to 50,000 miles, but has not had the coolant changed.

**Just to reiterate other member's posts, what's the mileage on the Santa Fe and has she had all of the proper maintenance done? Did she have the maintenance done at the dealership (they'll have a record of it)? Did she tell them to not do the coolant change?
My dad (old coot that can fix everything *and* works at a Hyundai dealership) said that they wouldn't replace the engine with a new one. They'll take out the blown engine, take it apart, keep what's good and replace what's broken. He said that he can't recall them ever using a complete new or refurbished engine replacement. (I don't know if this varies by dealer).
When I explained that the dealership was blaming it on coolant, he said: Anti-freeze? They're trying to blame it on anti-freeze? And they checked it a month before? They're full of shit! Tell her to get a new dealership! So I replied that she probably had a properly-filled reservoir but didn't have the coolant change done before 60K. He said: They're still full of shit!! :) If that engine was just checked a month earlier and there's coolant in it, the engine is not going to blow due to not having your coolant changed. He also said it just sounded like a bullshit excuse.
Of course and most importantly, this is all predicated on the fact her engine blew suddenly and that she did not ignore warnings that her car was giving her and drive it into the ground (as Thee Chicago Wolf explained). Dad said that she should call corporate or demand the number for that region's Hyundai rep and the Hyundai dealership must give it to her.
kaboomie
Wow, that's a lot of discussion. I haven't had time to look at everything yet but answers to at least one question is that the engine had about 40,000 miles on it (less than 45,000).
I'm not sure if she declined a coolant change at the dealership. I do know that she did get some service work done at a small shop that she used for some bodywork she had done so not all service was through the dealership.
To the point many people are making about the customer-relations effects this could have; I drive a Subaru that I'm extremely happy with. With all the good press about improvements in Hyundai's initial quality, Hyundai's great design plus the owner experiences of some other friends I've been considering a Santa Fe for my next car. I can say that how they deal with this issue will definitely weigh heavily in giving the Santa Fe (really Hyundai) a try.

Well, that's certainly every buyer's privilege, but before I made any final decisions, I'd make sure I understood the specifics about this deal. At this point you really don't know enough about the situation to answer any of the questions that have been asked here, so that leaves you ill-equipped to make a decision about Hyundai customer service. There are lots of reasons why engines fail. Some of them are the responsibility of the owner and some are not. Impossible for anyone to cast a reflection on Hyundai at this point, whether that be favorable or unfavorable.
Keep the group posted on things you discover.