$10,000 Engine?

Page 3 of 3
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yes, modern engines seldom fail without some cause. Sure, manufacturing and design defects do occur (sludge in Toyota engines for example), but they are quite rate today. Most engine failures I see, and I see very few, are due to abuse by the owner. It would be good to know the entire story here. I'd love to hear the dealer's point of view.
Matt

In-laws 2002(3) Lincoln Town Car. Threw a rod through the bottom of the engine. Car has 56,000 on it. Ford said it was out of warranty. After lots of wailing and crying they agreed to pay for 1/2 the cost of an engine from the junk yard. The labor and other half my father-in-law paid. I'm assuming that is Lincolns call, not Ford's.
It would be good to know the entire

First, there's a little misinformation in the posts above. For 2004 models, the required maintenance interval for the coolant was 2 years/30,000 miles. But that's not even necessarily important here. What is important is the reason why the engine failed, and whose responsibility that problem is. Did it overheat? Throw a rod? All this is important in determining the potential causes of failure.
For Hyundai to deny warranty coverage due to lack of maintenance, Hyundai must be able to show within reason that the failure to perform the specified maintenance actually caused the failure. In this case, how did the engine fail? If it's coolant related, did the dealer take a coolant sample and test the coolant? Coolant test strips which test for both pH and temperature protection are very common. If Hyundai has no evidence that there was a problem with the coolant, then there is no basis upon which to deny coverage on that point.
There's significant information missing here, including the number of miles on the engine and some other things. Bottom line, if the OP feels the dealer isn't giving a fair shake, there should be immediate contact with Hyundai customer assistance (800-633-5151).
Welcome back.

Dude - there was a lot of speculation that you left and went to work for the GM camp...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net