100000 mi/10 year Hyundai Extended Warranty--Good Price??

I am getting a new Sonata in a few days and have been offered the Hyundai warranty for $1188. Anybody get a better price? I think it is way too high. Thanks---Johnboy

I was offered a 10yr 100,000 bumper to bumper for $800. These are not offered by Hyundai, they are third party companies. Usually some kind of insurance company. Rob

I don't get it. Since you are getting a 60,000 mile basic warranty, and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, that seems an awful lot for what is actually very little additional protection.
I guess it comes down to your perception of the reliability of the vehicle your first five years (and anything not already covered).
In my world, if you have that little confidence in the car, you shouldn't be buying the car in the first place. I have always turned down such offers, and have never regretted it.
Tom Wenndt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

IMHO it would be better to obtain an extended warranty from someone other than Hyundai. The Hyundai dealer Service Manager's job is to find excuses not to honor the Hyundai warranty. You won't have that problem if you go with a reputable 3rd party.

well then the Service Manager's you have dealt with shouldnt be working.. I have NEVER had a problem with anything at Hyundai.. and my 04 Elantra GT had a few problems.. MAJOR ones that I never had a problem getting repaired.. the Service Manger bent over backwards to make me happy.. tis why I now also have an 06 Santa Fe.. guess its WHO yer service manager is..;-)
Pete...

Pete & Cindy wrote:

Oh, the one down the street from here is a real ass-monkey. When my son's '00 Accent transmission started having trouble I called him regarding the warranty. The first thing to come out of his mouth was that in the State of Florida all fluid changes and service work has to be done at the Extreme Service intervals or they wouldn't honor the Hyundai warranty.
Show me that in writing somewhere...
well in my Elantra had clutch replaced.. CD player replaced 4 times... relay switch in clutch pedal replaced... and more.. and didnt have one problem with getting the work done..

why wouldn't you change the filter and trans fluid at the recommended mileage?(30k?) its a simple and inexpensive procedure for a do it yourselfer. bought our fluid and filter from the dealer using a discount coupon they mailed to us. also,its cheap insurance to protect your investment and one less excuse for the dealer to blame you should you actually develop trans probs. then he bills you a small amount to show he's a nice guy while also billing the factory for actual work. our highway mileage is a consistant 45-50mpg city is about 27mpg we intend to keep our accent the full10years.
Screwtape III wrote:

Right, with a 3rd party warranty nobody will honor it. My nephew just had this problem with a extended warranty he bought on a Chevy Blazer. The Chevy dealer near his home refused to honor it as it wasn't a Chevy warranty. He had to drive 50 miles to the dealer where he bought the vehicle and the warranty.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

The last extended warranty I had was on my Astro van through Allstate. I'd take it somewhere to be serviced and the warranty company would provide the dealer with a credit card number. Never had a problem.

our 2001 accent developed noisy lifters at around the end of the original warranty. foretunately this car was purchased w/a extended bumper to bumper warranty to cover the veh for 10/100k. the dealer still tried to weasel out of the free repair by stating mobil 1 oil was insufficient for hyundai engines. also the dealer questioned our maintainance of the car. showing our receipts etc silenced him. the dealers try to bully customers into having maint performed only by them and then double dipping by charging the factory and customer for work performed.
[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:30:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I didn't consider it seriously but one virtue claimed by the dealer was increased resale value. The standard 10 yr warranty isn't transferable. (As stated by the dealer, again, I didn't even consider it).
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

I was told the list price is 995 when you buy the car, but can be added within the first year for 1295. I got mine for 900 (plus tax).
I was told the standard 5 yrs/50k mile (not 60k) warranty is transferrable, but the 10 yr/100k mile power train is not. The extended warranty from Hyundai is transferable, and covers the power train as well.
I checked warratydirect.com for a comparable price and got like $1250 to get a 10 yrs/100k warranty. So 900 seemed like a good price.
I have bought 2 extended warranties - 93 and 99 dodage carvans. Both were well worth it (no surprise there!). I never had a problem collecting on the dodge warranty from the dodge dealer.
I agree in principle with the "if you trust the car why get the warranty" statement, but the fact is things can happen. For 900 i get some peace of mind that if the water pump goes at 80k, or AC blows at 65k, then its covered.
I would think that more provlems would show up in the 2nd 50k not the first 50k.

I got my Hyundai Factory extended warranty in 2002 for $1050 , the dealer added in his lifetime lof's .....I have been every 3 months now and figure I have ate up half of the price so far.
Plan on keeping it for the 10 years , my wife has 7200k for 3 1/2 years , still runs like new. Retired. If it ain't broke I don't fix it !
"" wrote: > I am getting a new Sonata in a few days and have been offered > the > Hyundai warranty for $1188. Anybody get a better price? I > think it is > way too high. Thanks---Johnboy
I had an extended warranty on a Toyota Camry a few years back and had it through the dealer I purchased the car new from. When it came time to use it for an a/c compressor failure, the shop said they didnt honor the extended warranty and I would have to go to another dealer that handles the warranty. No where in my area did I find a Toyota shop that honored the warranty. I ended up speaking with a Chevy shop manager that I happened to know personally. Guess what, his shop would do the work under the warranty. Why I asked? He said the terms of the warranty allowed any repair shop to do the work so long as the warranty company was called in advance and I paid the bill up front. I would be sent a check to reminburse me in a few weeks. Less a deductible of course! In my opinion extended warranties are hardly worth the expense and the running around to find service.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Waste of money. You'd be better off putting that $1k towards paying off your car faster or putting it in the bank towards future repairs if you're that worried. You might never have a problem & then the money will still be available unlike if you buy the warranty. 5yr/60k bumper to bumper & 10yr/100k powertrain is better than what most other car companies offer anyways. The extended warranty makes even less sense if you get rid of your car around the 5 or 6 year mark. Course most people will probably exceed 100k before they keep the car 10 years.