1992 hyundai scoupe ~92K miles

I have had the weirdest experience yesterday.

I was shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, when I didn?t depress the clutch all the way.

Naturally the it made some grinding noise. So I stepped on the clutch, but that?s when I realized I couldn?t shift into 2nd gear at all...

It?s like something was knocked back taking all the gears that are in the lower row not shiftable. (2nd, 4th, and of course reverse)

I can shift it into 1st and then to 3rd.

also, the gear position is lower, like shifted back a bit, so there isn?t enough room to shift it into to gears in the lower row.

What do you all think is the problem?

how much is this gonna cost me?

thanks all in advance

sean

Reply to
sean_incali

It's possible you've damaged your shift cables. I'd check them first. It's also possible you've damaged the shifter itself.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech2" wrote: > It's possible you've damaged your shift cables. I'd check > them first. > It's also possible you've damaged the shifter itself.

how much will this cost in either case?

is it worth the repair? given the car is old...

thanks for any inisght.

sean

Reply to
sean_incali

Cost will vary widely by location. You can call a couple local places and get pricing on replacing shifter cables, but someone will actually need to look at the car to determine the real problem. Cost of repairs to the shifter will be determined by specifically what's necessary.

Also be aware that this could be as simple as reinstalling a clip that came off. While that's doubtful based on your description, it's also going to be difficult to give you any reasonably accurate pricing info without knowing first what needs to be done to fix the vehicle.

Reply to
hyundaitech