1995 X3 Excel window winder problem

Hi,

We have had this Excel since new with very few real issues.

The one that is causing me drama is the windows are becoming difficult to wind down past about half way. I anticipate that the regulator may need some work, meaning I need to remove the door trim to gain access.

I have been to the Hyundai tech site and printed the exploded view of the door assembly and instructions for adjustment of the regulator. The winder is meant to have a clip retaining it which can be removed with a screwdriver. However I have tried in vain to do this and have had no success at all.

I am not sure that the instructions are correct, can someone please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks and cheers,

Ray

Reply to
Rayc

The clip is exceptionally difficult to push out with a screwdriver. It's a c-shaped clip behind the trim washer with the opening of the c facing the knob on the winder. I remove these by putting a flat blade screwdriver between the winder and trim ring going in from the knob end of the winder, and prying back on the trim ring while turning the winder. This usually results in the prying pressure pushing the clip off the winder.

But before you disassemble everything, look at the rubber window runs that the window slides in. Make sure they're in good condition. I've seen several of these get kinked up and prevent proper window operation. If they're kinked up, you should replace them. If not, you might try spraying some silicone spray in the groove to see if it helps the window operate more smoothly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hi Hyundaitech,

Well, I tried putting silicone lube in the door window glass run and winding the windows full travel up and down a few times, there's no major improvement.

I finally got the little sucker off, what a stupid design!!

Having removed the door trim and door trim seal, I inspected the operation of the regulator. The channel looks rather dry, but I guess the plastic guide/glass bracket assy is meant to be that way. Nevertheless, I applied some lube to the plastic guide & channel to see if it had a beneficial effect - a minor improvement. It is now very easy to operate when opening, but still requires quite a deal more effort to close.

Upon closer inspection of the door regulator operation, it seems there is too much clearance in the guide running on the regulator channel i.e. the plastic may be worn down. It appears to be allowing the glass to tilt (forward when opening/backwards when closing) and causing undue friction against the trailing edge of the guide on the channel when winding closed.

Is this likely to be the issue with this window, or is it just generally getting old and tired?

We can live with it the way it is, but if the part is the cause and it isn't frightfully expensive I'd like to replace it. What is involved in doing this? Can I just unbolt it and swap it out or is it more of an ordeal than that? The online manual doesn't seem to cover this at all.

Sorry to make this drag out, but with only 64000k's on the clock we'd like to keep it going properly a bit longer.

Thanks and cheers,

Ray

Reply to
Rayc