1996 Hyundai Accent GT ~ Transmission problems???

My 1996 Hyundai Accent GT has about 110K miles & having what i believe to be transmission (automatic) problems.It started when it would not go into
reverse ~ just sat there reving as if it were in neutral. Then it banged & went into gear ~ then after that began to slip & "bang as car was going forward. pushed overdrive button off & drives fine~ can someone please tell me what is wrong with this thing?
did u check the fluid level?

Take it to a Hyundai dealer (recommended) or qualified transmission diagnosis or repair facility. Jody's correct to check your fluid. It's also possible you have a problem with your range switch. If you have a way to do so, you could check for diagnostic trouble codes in the Transmission Control Module (and Engine Control Module, too).
I have a 01 Accent with the same problem.. But it has gotten worse, now it wont even change gears end can bearly speed up! WTF?