1997 Elantra Radio Code

I just purchased a used Elantra for my daughter to gget back and forth to school. At the time of purchase the original owner had told me that the radio knob was broken and the radio would not turn on. However I have
discovered that the radio is fine it just displays CODE when turned on. I have opened the dash (wwith some difficulty) got the serial number from the radio, and called both Hyundai USA, and three local dealers all without success. They either do not have the code or want a fee for providing the code. After reading some previous posts I have held the #4 button in while turning on the radio and the diaplsy becomes a 3X3 grid that looks like: 0 - 0 - - - - - 0
where the 0's are blank and the '-' are lines.
Can any one help me before I pull out all my hair?
Thanks.
You need a new stereo, without the security code, Hyundai will charge you almost the full value of the stereo, to provide the code because it is meant as a theft deterant..... You'd do just as well to goto a car radio shop and buy a cheap Sony (or something) cd player, they are most likely alot cheaper than the Hyundai genuine part....

I'm not sure if the Elantra is the same, but the code for the radio in my '94 Excel was on a sticker on the left outside of the glove box. If it's not there, you take the car to a dealer and they can look up the code, but they'll probably charge you to do so. When I was quoted $50 for the "service", I contacted Hyundai directly and they told me where to find the code sticker in the vehicle, no charge.
While the code system is designed as a theft deterrent, if you have the radio AND the car with the right code sticker, it's pretty obvious that the radio isn't stolen.
"Newbie via CarKB.com" wrote: > I just purchased a used Elantra for my daughter to gget back > and forth to > school. At the time of purchase the original owner had told me > that the > radio knob was broken and the radio would not turn on. However > I have > discovered that the radio is fine it just displays CODE when > turned on. > I have opened the dash (wwith some difficulty) got the serial > number from > the radio, and called both Hyundai USA, and three local > dealers all without > success. They either do not have the code or want a fee for > providing the > code. > After reading some previous posts I have held the #4 button in > while > turning on the radio and the diaplsy becomes a 3X3 grid that > looks like: > 0 - 0 > - - - > - - 0 > > where the 0's are blank and the '-' are lines. > > Can any one help me before I pull out all my hair? > > Thanks.
Its on the left side of the glove box on my sisters 2000 elantra. Try looking there. In my moms 93 they charged my 50 bucks to get the code, but all they did was a simple google search. If its not on the glove box try google