1997 Hyundai Elantra (manual) - Neutral Safety Switch

Hi, I am having trouble cranking my '97 (manual) Hyundai Elantra. The battery is 100% and all inside electrical works (radio,lights, door chime, etc..) The car will crank if you pop the clutch but otherwise it
will not crank - no clicking- nothing. I have tried cranking in neutral & first gear with the clutch engaged.We have replaced the nuetral safety switch. Any other ideas or help is greatly appreciated?
--
kimdawn1025
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com
kimdawn1025 wrote:

Can't say for sure about the '97, but the '01 Elantra I once owned wouldn't start without the clutch depressed (disengaged). I would guess that your '97 is probably designed to not start with the clutch engaged, as my '01 was.
--
Larry Harvilla
e-mail: larry AT phatpage DOT org

What do you mean by "pop the clutch". That term has a meaning and it is inconsistent with what you are saying. To pop the clutch is to release it by just taking your foot off the pedal.
If you mean that it will only crank if you hold the clutch down - that's the way standard transmissions are these days.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net