1998 catalytic converter

my daughter has a 1998 hyundai elantra and the catalytic converter is bad. She just spent 1000 having a salvage motor in due a mechanic that took the top off of the original motor and I think all that was wrong
was the o2 sensor and the converter. She is out of money and needs the car badly. I have heard of someone gutting the converter for a short time. Is this possible on this model?
Gutting the converter is VERY illegal and will cause your check engine lamp to illuminate. Besides, the catalytic converter is possibly still under warranty. The warranty on the converter is 8 years/80k miles.