1998 Elantra Speedometer Wrong

Manual The speedometer is consistently reading 10-15 kph too high. The faster you go, the higher it's out. One morning when really cold, the speedometer needle went up to 180 kph,
when I was slowly accelerating. I don't know much about this. Had a general mechanic look at it. He said he couldn't find a problem with a speed sensor at the back? I can't remember what he said exactly He said the next problem might be the speedo head. Does this sound like the problem? There is no check engine light, no noise, or any other indication that there is something wrong. I'm still happy with the car, approaching 250,000 km. Geo
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

If you've not had any tranny work done immediately prior to the problem, then it'll either be the cable or the speedo head itself.
No tranny work at all. Thanks