1999 Elantra Fuel Injector, twist out?

Ok my girlfriends car is having an issue, she said she was just at a light and then all of a sudden the motor started shaking and the car ran poorly.

So went and did some diagnostics, pulled each spark plug wire, pull one of 3 of them and it would die out on you, pull the plug for the far driver side cylinder, didn't seem to effect it that much, hmm, was getting spark ok on every wire. So I went and pulled the clips on the injectors and tried unplugging them one at a time, get to the far driver side, unplug it, no effect, didnt run any worse, so I'm 99% sure its the injector, it seems to be really loud, so I think its just clogged up, dumped some injector cleaner into the tank and had her drive home, only about 6 miles so I'm sure it didn't get enough cleaner to clear it. She says it seems to drive better when she's driving, but stopped it seems to run rough. Maybe under throttle its opening up enough to deliver enough fuel to the cylinder to smooth things out.

My big question is, does Hyundai cover fuel injectors under the 10 year

100,000 mile warranty? or does it fall into their grey area.

If I need to change this myself, do I just need to relieve fuel pressure, and then does the rail move up enough that I can slide the feeder hose off the injector and then pull it up and out without much problem? I work at a chevy dealership so I can get the new injector pretty cheap.

Reply to
Paradox

The chances of the fuel injector being your problem are small. Pull the #4 spark plug wire off the plug and just place it back on the top of the plug (don't clip it back onto the plug). Gradually lift it off and look down the hole to see if you see the spark jumping out the side of the wire. If so, (and I suspect you do), you'll need new wires. Also be sure to check the spark plugs. Most often, misfires are caused by ignition components.

If it does turn out to be an injector, it's not it any gray area. It's only covered for 5 years/60k miles. It's not part of the powertrain warranty.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Gotcha, it ended up being the plugs and wires.

The service guy said it was about time to do a timing belt, is that pretty easy to do yourself? Is the 1.8 an interference design engine? the engine in my 300Z is and I know if the belt on that breaks I can expect bent valves.

Reply to
Paradox

Yep, it's an interference engine. And I believe all the 1999's had the 2.0 engine. Anyway, the timing belt is recommended at 4 years/60k miles and is pretty easy to do on this engine. If the thought of doing a timing belt job doesn't scare you, then this isn't a bad one for a DIYer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

How do I find out the schedule of when things should be changed/repaired.

I ask as the 99 Hyundai Accent GSI my sister just bought has 58000k.

How much is it to get the timing belt changed?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

There should be a maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. If you didn't get a manual with the car, you can go to

and there will be info there for the current model accent. I believe the only difference is that a transmission fluid replacement is required on your car at 30k that's not required on the current model.

You should call around about the timing belt. Prices will vary greatly by facility and geographical area.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ahh good to know, my girlfriend bought the car in 99 cash and has just been driving it, oil changes occasionally.

Currently it needs a new RR strut, going to get 2 and do both the back ones so it stops riding like a cadillac

Then I need to get a LR window regulator because the cable in it broke, still need to figure out if I can just transfer the motor over.

Then I gotta figure out what I wanna do about that whole timing belt thing.

Reply to
Paradox

You should be able to use the motor from the old regulator.

Reply to
hyundaitech