2 questions: Speedo correction for tires size, and Largest widthe and diameter "tested" on an 2003 Elantra GT.

I want to increase the diameter of the tires on my Elantra, and I would also like to increase the width slightly.
I am looking at 18" X 8.5 or 9.5 wheels with 35 or 40 profile tires.
This is surely going to change the diameter from stock so the speedo will be off. Is this correctable in the computer or otherwise?
What is the largest combination of tire and wheels that have been tested as "successful"? I am fairly new to Hyundai's, so I don't know where to start looking for this data.
Thanks all!
Clay
--
Warning: keyboard may cause involuntary vowel movement - Clay Ferriola

Crabman wrote:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/OptionalTireSize.jsp?searchDiameter &autoMake=Hyundai&autoModel=Elantra%20Limited&autoYear 07&autoModClar Customize the search for your model.
Vic Hyu Garcia wrote:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/OptionalTireSize.jsp?searchDiameter &autoMake=Hyundai&autoModel=Elantra%20Limited&autoYear 07&autoModClar=

TireRack is very conservative in their sizing. I did find a Hyundai forum which says 225/60's will work but may need a fender rolling.
Any thoughts about the speedo?
Thanks Clay
--
Warning: keyboard may cause involuntary vowel movement - Clay Ferriola

Crabman wrote:

is 215/40/18. My wife have 205/45/17 on hers, about 1/2 inch left till hit the fender.

and illegal in most States, since will affect the mileage counter too.

doesn't the specs on tirerack show rev's per mile or some such number for a given tire? you can see the deviation from what size you're running now.....if you go up one diameter size and down one aspect ratio , do the revs per distance stay somewhat constant?
Roscoe C. Arbuckle wrote:

are the same between 2 tire sizes then everything is good.
I am talking about changing that number. I don't like the profile in the wheel well with the stock size. Guess I'll have to lower it!
Clay
--
Warning: keyboard may cause involuntary vowel movement - Clay Ferriola

Thanx for writing, sir. A good place to start would be to ask what is your O.E.M. size is, as there are some sizes where trying to do an upsize might involve going to a size that is just about impossible to find.
There is also another factor. What is your speedometer currently reading vs. your actual speed? Although I don't have a wide range of experience with Hyundais, the experience I do have with them shows that the speedometers are off (on the high side) by about 4%. What I mean is that the speedometer reads that you are going faster than you actually are. If you upsize only one size, you may end up with a tire that will read almost exact on the speedometer.
In terms of upsizing, I suggest you call or log onto the internet with the friendly folks at Tire Rack. They have some upsizing efforts that can walk you through the steps.
I will give you a couple of my own personal tips:
*If you are going to upsize, upsize by only one size. Let's say your car takes a 195-60-15, which has been the standard size in the Hyundai Elantra for several years. You can go to either a 195-65-15 (a taller tire) or a 205-60-15 (a wider tire that will also be slightly taller). Either of those sizes are fairly common, by the way. I guess you could also figure out what the size would be to go to a 16" wheel, but I think the tire choices would be far less.
*Call your Hyundai service tech (or get the opinion of Mr. HyundaiTech on this board) as to whether there are some computer updates that must be done with a tire upsize. On some makes and models, if you change tire size, you have to program that information into the transmission and other places. Don't know if that is the case with Hyundai, but in this computer age (and cars are EXTREMELY computerized anymore) don't be surprised if it is.
*Understand that any change in size will represent some compromises, be it in ride quality, feel, whatever. I might suggest that, when you get your new size, buy some tires (like Bridgestones) that have a 30-45 day try-out policy. You have to judge what you might gain with what you might lose.
Hope this helps.

Check the tire sizes. You can change the profile and the wheel diameter without significantly changing the rev's per mile.
yay i get to contribute something: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
hopefully this helps someone
jeff