2000 4cy hyundai sonata

Hello Hyundai Tech and everyone else!
My Sonata has been not wanting to start on a couple of occasions and at times seem to quit for a split second while driving along at 50mph.
Then she would start but die in a minute or so, yesterday.
Took her to a trusted mechanic and was told it likely had to do with a drive-shaft sensor which would be indicate by the symptoms I stated. I thought it may be dirty fuel, fuel filter (s), or pump.
The mechanic said that repair meant removing the motor and that I should have the timing belt and waterpump replaced as is the timing on 75k milage indicates.
Does this sound resonable to the knowledgable people in this group?
Thank for any information!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I think your mechanic is probably referring to the crankshaft sensor. That would be consistent with what you describe as well as the mechanicís thoughts about the water pump and the timing belt. The engine doesnít need to be removed, but all the items necessary to reach the timing belt do.
If you havenít yet replaced the timing belt, donít hesitate to do this repair. This engine has been known to have premature timing belt failures, so I recommend at least strict adherence to the schedule for replacing the timing belt and balance shaft belt, which is every 4 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Given your symptoms, this is also the time to replace the sensor.
The water pump is another issue. They donít fail all that often, but with the timing belt off itís only a small amount of additional labor to replace. On the other hand, if it fails later, itíll be a significant amount of labor just to access the water pump again. There are differing philosophies here, and youíll need to pick your poison.
"Cliff" wrote: > Hello Hyundai Tech and everyone else! > > My Sonata has been not wanting to start on a couple of > occasions and at > times seem to quit for a split second while driving along at > 50mph. > > Then she would start but die in a minute or so, yesterday. > > Took her to a trusted mechanic and was told it likely had to > do with a > drive-shaft sensor which would be indicate by the symptoms I > stated. > I thought it may be dirty fuel, fuel filter (s), or pump. > > The mechanic said that repair meant removing the motor and > that I should > have the timing belt and waterpump replaced as is the timing > on 75k milage > indicates. > > Does this sound resonable to the knowledgable people in this > group? >                > > Thank for any information!
‚úĖ
Thank you very much for your input!

Add pictures here
‚úĖ