2000 Accent GL no spark, so no start

My neighbor asked me to help him out My best guess was to replace the crank sensor, but no luck

Anyone have any suggestions going forward?

Helped him replace the automatic transmission with a rebuild a while back That was a real PITA

Reply to
Hewy

Does the check engine lamp come on when the key is turned to the "on" position? If not, you probably need an ECM. Be sure to check fuses and grounds prior to replacing.

Did the o-ring come out with the old sensor? If not, the new sensor (with new o-ring) is probably too far away from the crank wheel to read it.

Have you checked the timing belt to be sure it's intact?

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for the reply HT, but turns out the fuel pump had gone south. What amazed me is there was no spark (I know a spark when I see or 'feel it") until we banged on the tank hard enough to revive the pump. I assume there must be a "no fuel pressure means no spark to the cylinders" circuit.

Thanks again..Hewy

Reply to
Hal

I don't think so. There's nothing on the car anywhere that measures fuel pressure.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Nor could I find an easy way to check the fuel pressure, But it's running again............................for a while Thanks again for the reply Hewy

Reply to
Hewy

Thanks for the reply HT, but turns out the fuel pump had gone south. What amazed me is there was no spark (I know a spark when I see or 'feel it") until we banged on the tank hard enough to revive the pump. I assume there must be a "no fuel pressure means no spark to the cylinders" circuit.

Are you sure your banging didn't fix something else? It's possible your "no spark" and "no fuel pump" had a different common cause. If the ECM doesn't detect inputs from the Crankshaft position sensor, it won't make spark, and it will open the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Bob

Good point, but after reading all threads concerning "no start" conditions, I replaced that sensor (about 50 bucks) with no effect. The "hammer treatment" was tried next, followed by an new fuel pump. Hewy

Reply to
Hewy