2000 Accent Timing Belt

In the owners manual for my 2000 Accent, the maintenance schedule, has the timing belt to be replaced at 60K, but is footnoted that "For California, this maintenance is recommended,
but not required". Anybody know why it is different for Calif?
I suspect there's a legal reason that they cannot deny warranty coverage if it's not replaced when due and then fails.