2000 Accent: won't start, can't read OBD code

Hi all,
    My wife's 2000 Accent (27000 miles, manual trans.) started running rough and giving her an intermittent check engine light. She brought it
home and parked it. I didn't get a chance to look at it for about 4-5 days. I tried to start it and while the engine would crank, I couldn't get it to fire. I tried connecting my OBDII code reader (http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/detail.php3?id )5) and got an error message (no useable code). Also, I noticed that when I turned the key to the run position, the check engine light remains dark (other indicator lights come on). I took a look under the hood and couldn't find anything obvious amiss. Since I wasn't able to get a code out of the computer, I tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to see if things would reset. Still no joy. So my questions are:
1. I've read other postings where people weren't able to read an OBD code from Hyundais. Is there some special magic I should know to get a code?
2. Is it normal for the CEL to be dark when the ignition is on but the car isn't running? I wouldn't think so, but you never know...
3. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for what to look at next?
The car is still under the 5year/60K mile warranty but if it's something simple like a popped fuse keeping the computer from getting power, I'd like to save the aggravation of a tow and having the car out of commission.
Replies to the group and/or e-mail are appreaciated.
Ad<thanx>vance
Snuffy
take it to the dealer sounds like your cam shaft position sensors gone

Thanks for the tip, Jody.
Seeing as it's Sunday, I'd figured I'd just take a look at the cam position sensor to see if it was something like a dirty connection. Everything looked fine. The fact that I couldn't get a code out of the diagnostic computer still bothered me, though. Since I didn't have anything better to do at the moment, I decided to recheck the fuses and relays in the underhood box that had to do with the ECU. After I pulled and reseated every fuse and relay related to the ECU (no fuses were blown), I was able to get a reading on my OBD scanner and the car started right up. Apparently one or more of the connections had become dirty and was preventing power to the ECU. Judging by some of the postings I've seen here and in other places (unable to start or get a code from the OBD) this isn't an uncommon occurence. Oh well, something to tuck away for future reference. At least I didn't pay for a tow to the dealer and diagnostic time.
Snuffy