2000 Elantra Transmission

So, I have this 2000 Elantra with 110K miles, and the transmission just went out. No reverse..... So, I take it to the dealer - where I bought it
from - and bang - NEW transmission $2,350.
What kind of a crock is that???
Should I be looking elsewhere??

Probably the car is not worth that much. You could probably get it fixed elsewhere than the dealer, who will probably outsource the transmission work, anyway.

Call a transmission shop and ask what a complete rebuild will be. Then decide who is the better shop and if the car is worth putting that much into it. Chances are the dealer is going to swap out your for a rebuilt. Considering the age and miles, you may want to consider a used tranny. I've heard of some very good prices (like $700 installed and guaranteed) for them.
About this time last year I spent $2600 for a rebuild of my Buick tranny. None of them are cheap.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

I called the place in town that my friend recommended, and it was only around $100 less for a rebuild - which I thought was ridiculous. Their warranty was *slightly* better (the dealer is only giving me a 12k/12 Month warranty) but, I think with those numbers, I'm just going to suck it up and go to the dealer.
Thanks!
The Chris wrote:

Transmissions are expensive. I wouldn't consider this to be too far out of line. You might find an independent shop that is cheaper, but I doubt you will get below $1,500 if the tranny really needs to be replaced. And will the local independent shop help you when you are on vacation 1,000 miles from home?
Matt

A junk yard maybe? Get one with half that mileage for $500 and put it in. That price from the dealer is about average for a tranny though. Not sure why you're calling it a crock.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I paid $2800 to have the tranny re-built on a 2000 elantra after only 78,000 miles.

Yikes!!
did you bend over for him as well?!?!?

Yes, yes I did... :)
Call a couple more dealers and compare. $2350 seems a bit high for a 2000 Elantra. Unless the prices in your geographic area are high, I expect you'll be able to talk the dealer down to around $1800 to $2000 or so.

I'm assuming that would require me getting the car to other dealers. I only live like 2 miles away from this one. I barely got it there... The other place I called - a transmission place - quoted $2200 for a rebuild. Not much incentive for that one...
Guess I'll just eat it!
Thanks!
Don't take it in just for an estimate. Call around and ask for the price of an overhaul or replacement with reman. Most places should be able to give you this over the phone. The most reliable estimates will be replacement with reman, since the parts required won't change depending on what's wrong with your transmission.
Quotes like $xxx plus parts should be ignored. If the quote is low enough to justify the towing cost, then consider taking it there. I will say, however, that considering relative prices, a factory reman is probably the most reasonable and reliable way to go.
my 2001 elantra tranny let go with 230,000 km (140,000 miles) wrong tranny fluid on a flush another story!!!
dealer quoted me $2,100.00 (canucks) for a factory rebuilt unit installed taxes ect. or $ 1,200.00 for a tranny from a scrap yard.
so your price is a little high in my books.
Finn.

So - I paid that money - two days later.... a big Buck when going into drive..... Take it back. Get it back... two days later... a big BUCK when going into drive... So, it's there - at the dealer - for the THIRD time!!!
What a hassle!!

So, here it is, April 29th, and my car is in for the THIRD time. I haven't had it since April 9th for a stretch longer than 2 days...
They're putting in the SECOND transmission.
When I took it there, they said they don't deal with rebuilds - because they're the dealer. That statement caused me to use them, and not the place that said they'd put a rebuild in my car.
But on the phone, the dealer said ALL transmissions are rebuilt because the only way to get a new one would be to get a new car!!!
So, either I misunderstood.....
However, about a week ago, I got a survey phone call from a service. I tol them, "Are you aware that my car is STILL in the shop???" They weren't...
Anyway, the dealer gave me a 2007 Mercury Milan to tool around in for a few weeks.....
The story continues...