2000 Elantra Won't Shift Out of Park

I have a 2000 Elantra that has only 59,000 miles on it. It runs perfectly, however, sometimes it will allow you to shift from park into gear and sometimes it won't. I always have the brake pedal
depressed. When I press the shifter button on the handle, I hear a clicking from the solenoid in the steering column. I have taken this in to the Hyundai shop twice with no solution to the problem. Can anyone suggest a fix?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Are you applying your parking brake every time you park? If you don't, and park on any slope at all, some cars will place enough pressure on the park pawl that it makes it hard to shift out of part.
Matt

No, Matt, I always park on a level surface. There shouldn't be virtually any pressure. It isn't as if it is bound up from pressure agrainst the park pawl. It seems more like a microswitch or sensor problem that
You've a small interlock module which receies inputs from gearshift, ignition, and brake pedal switches.
Most problems I've seen are either a failed brake pedal switch or a bent pin in the shifter that no longer contacts the park position switch.
First step-- check your brake lamps while the condition is occurring. If they don't work, replace the switch. If they do, perhaps pull up the console and nose around the shifter.