2000 Hyundai Sonata

The last two times i have filled my gas tank, my car will immediately have a problem starting back up.After a minute or two if i pump the gas peddle it will start up and run perfect.After the first time it happened my wife took the car to have it checked out.the mechanic told her that ther was nothing wrong with the car and it must have been bad gas.Well i just filled it up tonight from a different gas station and the same thing happened.It took a minute or two to start up,but once it did it was running perfect.Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

Reply to
patriots05

Do you fill it until the pump stops? Or do you keep clicking the pump until the tank is filled to the top? I have that happen when I fill my 2004 Elantra and keep trying to sqeeze more into the tank. Then it will be hard to start or it will stumble like its going to stall. Bob

Reply to
Heckle

It was filled to the top the 1st time but I didn't squeeze the pump to get extra gas in there.Last night I filled it to 3 quarters of a tank.Same thing happened.Its weird because after i do finally get it started it acts like nothing happened.Today the car turned right over.

Reply to
patriots05

I've seen this once caused by a stuck open purge control valve on the 2.4L

4cyl engine that didn't otherwise cause a trouble code or check engine lamp.

If you know what your purge control valve is, you can (with the car off) take the hose off and see if you can blow through the valve. If you can blow through it, the valve is bad.

The reason this causes hard starting after fueling is that it allows all the fuel vapors collected during fueling to enter the intake, in effect flooding the engine when you try to restart after fueling.

Reply to
hyundaitech