2000 Sonata(draining coolant and replacing)

I have a V6 that I want to drain the coolant and replace with new coolant.I looked under the radiator and did not find anything that looked like the American type drain petcock.What I see is a red plug that has a cross that I assume you can loosen with a large screw driver.Is that the point where you drain the radiator?Please advise me or suggest.Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Eno Zamora

You're on the money.

Reply to
hyundaitech

And having drained and replaced the coolant, how does one go about bleeding the air from the system?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

It bleeds pretty easily. Fill the radiator with your 50-50 mix and start the car. Wait for the fans to cycle on. Top off again and add to the reservoir as necessary.

If your car begins to overheat, turn it off and let it cool. Add more coolant as possible, and restart and wait yet again for the fans to cycle. If you must add a lot more coolant, it's a good idea to let the fans cycle again. These problems almost never happen unless the water pump is removed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks. That's better than the Aerostar I just got rid of. For the Ford, the way that you burp the system is to tilt the vehicle nose-upward. I swear that I didn't make this up!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Unfortunately, I know you didn't make it up. My father owns an Aerostar.

Reply to
hyundaitech