2000 Sonata stoping problem

Hello!

I have a question about my 2000 6 cyl Sonata. At the light the car stopped (the AC was on) and the check engine light came on. I managed to start the car (CEL did not come on), drove into the parking lot and tried to recreate the problem but could not. I hooked up the ODBII reader and got the following codes:

0335 - crankshaft position sensor A circuit 1372 - ?

What does this all mean? Car stoppage at the light is happenning for a while now.

Your response is greatly appreciated

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Both of these are codes for the crank sensor. I've not seen these codes on this engine caused by anything other than the sensor itself. Replace the sensor and all should be well. It bolts into the block behind the starter. For the DIYer, it's probably easiest to remove the starter and then unbolt the sensor and pull it out.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, I hoped you would answer, you are the man!

What is interesting that when I read the codes, the the check engine light was not on! How is it possible that those codes were raised without the lights on? Also how does this sensor relate to the engine stopping?

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Most failures on OBD-II compliant vehicles won't set the "Check Engine" lamp until they happen once each in two consecutive drive cycles.

This sensor relates the crankshaft position and speed to your ECM. Without this information, it doesn't know which plug/injector to fire or when. As far as your ECM knows, when there's no readout from the sensor, the engine is not turning.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, you were extremely helpful!

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Sorry, one last thing. Does the vehicle have to be elevated to remove the starter or it can be done from the top?

Reply to
vrokhlenko

You'll need to take it out from underneath. Be sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal to prevent nasty arcing/welding flashy things.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks again, I will have to go to the dealer, he quoted $150 for the replacement. Seems an OK price.

Reply to
vrokhlenko