2001 Accent hard to start after refuel

My 2001 Accent runs fine but recently it does not start on first crank every time I put gas in the car. It may take 2-3 tries before it sputters to life. After the initial start the car resumes normal and reliable operation until the next refuel.

Any ideas?

Reply to
accent

Chances are your purge control valve is stuck open. This causes the fuel vapors in the tank to be pushed into the engine's intake when you refuel, making the engine flooded.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Is the purge control valve the same as a fuel tank vent valve?

I should be able the follow the intake manifold and find the valve but where exactly do I look to locate the valve?

Do I bother doing a vacuum test and a resistance test or just simply replace the valve?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
accent

The purge control valve should be located behind the intake manifold. It's a small cylinder about 1" in diameter and 1" long with a vacuum hose coming off either end.

I'd recommend just replacing the valve. In many instances, disturbing the valve to remove it and check to see if it's open disturbs it enough that it unsticks. An open purge valve is pretty much the only way that fueling can affect how the vehicle runs.

If you do want to check the purge valve, see if you can blow through it with the engine off. If you can, it's defective. Since the issue is mechanical, a resistance check won't offer any useful information.

Reply to
hyundaitech

OK. I had the purge control valve replaced. The old part is removed and I am able to blow through it. Guess I should have tried the same with the new part to compare. Anyways, I will know the results the next time I fill up with gas.

I did not reset the CEL assuming that this will eventually reset on its own. Do I need to reset the CEL to complete a purge control valve rep;acement?

Reply to
accent

Since you hadn't checked the diagnostic trouble codes prior, it's a good idea to check them now. I'd expect you to have a P0441. If you have anything other than that, you probably have an additional issue that needs diagnosis and repair.

Another way to find out if you have further problems is to clear the lamp (by disconnecting the battery for about 5 seconds) and then see if it comes back.

The lamp will eventually clear itself if the only reason it was on was the purge control valve. I'd expect this to take at least two days and up to a week, depending on the type of driving you do. It isn't necessary to clear the lamp for the vehicle to operate properly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Checking the code costs me $85 each time. It is like adding insult to injury because I pay that in addition to any repairs done. In the past, the cost for scantests on my Accent has become a considerable expense.

The lamp did clear itself after 2 days use. I am now able to refuel and my car will start normally afterwards. The valve costs $120 and $20 labor to install. Thank you for your help.

Reply to
accent