2001 Elantra 5 speed shifter/trans (will not shift into reverse)

How do you check the range switch and shift cable to be sure you're actually shifting the transmission into reverse and that the TCM is aware it's been shifted to reverse? Car only has 50,863 miles and serviced by dealer.

Reply to
Charlie

If you have a manual transmission, you have no TCM nor a range switch, i.e. everything operates mechanically. Have someone manipulate the shifter while you watch the movement of the levers on the transmission and verify they're moving properly. If not, check the cable connections at the trans levers and shift lever. If so, remove the cables from the trans levers and see if you can select each gear by moving the levers with your hand (while the engine is off!).

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I generally rely on whether I have to turn my head to see where I'm going, to determine if the car is actually shifting into reverse.

Reply to
Mike Marlow