2001 Elantra "Check Engine" light

Hello All:
Was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar to what I've been experiencing.
Over the past 2 months or so, my "check engine" light has all of a
sudden come on at intermittent times -- 3 or 4 times so far.
The first time it happened, I figured it may need to just have the 60,000 mile service and that would take care of it. Then it came back shortly after that and it just happened again today.
Every time I shut the engine off and turn it back on again, the check engine light is gone and the problem seems to be solved.
It may be my paranoia, but everytime the check engine light comes on, it seems to me that the car's engine seems a little weaker accelerating at a stop light. Otherwise, the engine feels and sounds the same to me.
A friend of mine suggested it is probably a computer glitch, and it very well may be. But I wanted to post here and see if there was anyone else who had a problem such as this and what their experience was.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

That happened to a 98 Neon that I had...in my case it was a misfire in one cylinder that would happen once in awhile. It turned out to be a spark plug wire that was shorting every now and then causing the miss. New wires solved the problem.
NED wrote:

them read the computer code(s). That will tell you what's wrong.
If you have an Autozone near by then go have them read the codesfor free. It may have some stored. You might want to have the codes read even if you have to pay for it. Your problem could be a precursor to something more serious.

NED wrote:

the computer codes (Autozone and some other big parts chains will read them for you free). That will tell you what's wrong, or at least point you in the right direction. You could also buy a code reader and do it yourself.
This sounds like a transmission issue. Once the computer detects a transmission issue, it may put the transmission in third gear and keep it there, causing you to have poor acceleration from a stop. When you cycle the key off and on, it will go back to normal until it detects the transmission issue again. Most likely, it's an input or output speed sensor. Have it looked at and repaired. Starting off in third gear isn't good for your transmission.