2001 Elantra on hmaservice

Am I crazy or are the 2001-2003 Elantras no longer listed on the Shop manual? For the Elantra XD, they only list 2004-2006. The '01 is listed in some sections but not others.

Matthew Fedder wrote:

The cars are largely identical mechanically and electrically, with a few differences, so perhaps they didn't post redundant information on them. What are you looking to do?

I was going to look up a check-engine light (it says P0420 - Catalyst efficiency below threshold -- but I just passed a smog check). Before they upgraded the site (and don't get me wrong -- I really appreciate that the site is now Mac-friendly), they had year-specific listings for every single vehicle, including '01. I'm just curious why they would intentionally take listings for those years offline. But you're right -- for most things, the '04 will be similar enough.
I've had this issue, too. Basically, check for exhaust leaks and proper oxygen sensor operation. Most likely, you'll need to replace the manifold and catalytic converter assembly. If you're lucky, recall V04 will still be open and your manifold is cracked. That'll get you a free replacement. (You should also get a free replacement if you're within the 8 year/80k mileage warranty).