2001 Elantra symptoms.

Has 98k miles. If I take off the oil filler cap when the engine is idling I can a pulsing pressure like there is an air(?) leak. The engine has plenty of power on the highway, over 80mph in 4th gear(5speed manual)

I feel there maybe gasket trouble, any ideas welcome before I take it to a mechanic.

Reply to
Irwell

If it,s not using any oil I wouldn,t be worrying.

Has 98k miles. If I take off the oil filler cap when the engine is idling I can a pulsing pressure like there is an air(?) leak. The engine has plenty of power on the highway, over 80mph in 4th gear(5speed manual)

I feel there maybe gasket trouble, any ideas welcome before I take it to a mechanic.

Reply to
John

Depending on the amount of pulsing, this is a pretty much normal condition = caused by some of the combustion pressure leaking past the piston rings. A= better test is to remove the oil dipstick and start the engine. If there = is slight suction overall (rather than pressure) there is likely no problem= . That indicates the vacuum from the PCV system is greater than the amount= of blow-by.

Reply to
hyundaitech

caused by some of the combustion pressure leaking past the piston rings. A better test is to remove the oil dipstick and start the engine. If there is slight suction overall (rather than pressure) there is likely no problem. That indicates the vacuum from the PCV system is greater than the amount of blow-by.

Thanks for that information, makes sense.

Reply to
Irwell