2001 Elantra symptoms.

Has 98k miles. If I take off the oil filler cap when the engine is idling I can a pulsing pressure like there is an air(?) leak. The engine has plenty of power on the
highway, over 80mph in 4th gear(5speed manual)
I feel there maybe gasket trouble, any ideas welcome before I take it to a mechanic.
If it,s not using any oil I wouldn,t be worrying.
"Irwell" wrote in message
Has 98k miles. If I take off the oil filler cap when the engine is idling I can a pulsing pressure like there is an air(?) leak. The engine has plenty of power on the highway, over 80mph in 4th gear(5speed manual)
I feel there maybe gasket trouble, any ideas welcome before I take it to a mechanic.
On Monday, January 21, 2013 5:25:25 PM UTC-5, Irwell wrote:

Depending on the amount of pulsing, this is a pretty much normal condition caused by some of the combustion pressure leaking past the piston rings. A better test is to remove the oil dipstick and start the engine. If there is slight suction overall (rather than pressure) there is likely no problem. That indicates the vacuum from the PCV system is greater than the amount of blow-by.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:12:20 -0800 (PST), hyundaitech wrote:

caused by some of the combustion pressure leaking past the piston rings. A better test is to remove the oil dipstick and start the engine. If there is slight suction overall (rather than pressure) there is likely no problem. That indicates the vacuum from the PCV system is greater than the amount of blow-by. Thanks for that information, makes sense.