2001 hyndai elantra

Hello. I have a 2001 hyndai elantra with 97,000 miles on it. it seems that everytime I take the car for check up it always comes back with a new problem. Well this time, it seems that the car jerks or startles when I press on the accelerator. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Let say I am stop once I press on the accelerator to go forward, the car would kind of jerk or startles as the speed increases. I'm hoping this is not a big problem because I've already spent about $700 on this car. Can somebody please tell me what could be causing this problem. I've done all other mentainance on the car. I have another 1,000 milres left before the car is due for the 3,000 miles oil change. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
hayitienne

Maybe you should find a new place for service? Really, if there are problems afterward is may just be the place doing the work. Do your driving conditions require a 3000 mile oil change? Most car makers recommend longer intervals under normal conditions.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Make sure the floor mat is not interfering with gas pedal.

Reply to
irwell

It's interesting that you mention the 3000mi oil change. So many cars now have a longer (some much) interval. I have a 01 sonata (2.4l). In normal driving conditions is 4000mi or 4500mi unreasonable? What about with a synthetic oil? I'm sure there are 100,000 opinions here, and I'm not trying to start a heated debate.

Jared

Reply to
Jared

Not unreasonable at all if you put a few miles on each run. My Buick is recommended at 7500 and even at 125,000 miles, it is still clean inside and does not use oil between changes. Hyundai recommends 7500 for my type of driving so that is what I'm going to do on my Sonata.

If you drive 2 miles at a time in very cold weather, then 3k is good. If you heat the oil up in 10 or 20 mile runs, cruise the highways, then it is not unreasonable to go much further.

The 3000 mile thing was started by oil change centers so they can make more money.

As for synthetics, they are very good. Maybe better than what the average car needs. It is what is required on a few high performance engines, such as Corvette.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed, I was right with you until this last statement, which is completely false. 3,000 mile change recommendations have been around long before oil change centers became popular. I know first-hand that it has been around since the 1960s and back then oil change centers weren't prevalent at all.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

OK, let me re-phrase that slightly. The "modern 3000 oil change" If you go way back, the manufacturers recommended changes much more frequently. That was the correct time/mileage frame when oil had little, if any, additives, ring jobs were common at 50,000 miles, spark plugs were cleaned at 5000 miles and changed at 10,000.

The quick lube places just slap that little sticker on the windshield with no consideration of the recommendations of the auto maker or your particular driving habits. If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it. Especially when you consider these people are "professionals"' and they know what is best for us and profit for them is not a consideration.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have to read the manual--when I bought it 2001 I thought it said to change the oil every 3,000 miles. I've talked to other people who said that I don't need to change it that often. But I'm still a litlle concerned about the jerking or startling when I give it gass to increase speed. I guess I have to pray and just take it to the shop. somebody mentioned changing mechanics and have them look at it. Maybe I'll do that.

Reply to
hayitienne

I'll agree that the oil change places are certainly perpetuating the

3,000 mile change interval, but that isn't quite the same as starting the myth! :-)

I think it has been a myth for a pretty long time, but hard to say exactly when 3,000 mile changes actually were no longer necessary. And it wasn't a single point in time, but varied from car to car.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I recommend you find an honest mom and pop type shop who will diagnose and fix the problem for a lot less $$ than the dealership. Take it there for your oil changes too. Ask around, these shops are out there.

Reply to
Bob

I don't have a real good idea what's happening from your description. But it does certainly sound like you should at least have it checked. Check word of mouth for a good diagnostic shop.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Just my Dos Centavos here...

In the dusty NW Arizona cliamte, I have always changed oil/filter at 3k mile mark. Other areas should be fine. My Nissan Sentra when I sold it had 248k miles and purred like a kitten. I truly believe that the 3k oil changes helped the car live as long as it did. The manual for my 06 Sonata states 5k miles in dusty conditions, 7.5k others. In talking with my dealer, he concurs with me. He knows I am a mechanic and we've gone round and round over other these and other topics....

Not trying to step on any toes here, this has been my experience...

Steve-AZ

Reply to
Steve R.