2001 XG300 Spark Plugs and the dealer

Page 2 of 2
The coils range from $72 to $155 (for the Prenco) each.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)729031&carId1
or if you want the Prenco it's only $112 here:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQHyundaiQQXG300QQPrencoQQIgnition_CoilQQ2001QQW0133-1613826.html
If one goes bad, how would you know which one. Does the computer tell you that...does it tell you where the misfire is?
On Thu, 7 May 2009 14:26:46 -0700 (PDT), hyundaitech

Indeed. The trouble code indicates the misfiring cylinder (if the computer can detect that). Even without that information, as long as the engine is misfiring during diagnosis, it's fairly easy to performance test. If one of the coils is arcing, that should be visible. Otherwise, you can a coil as long as you have an old wire and two plugs. You can pull the coil and attach wire, putting one plug in the coil and one in the wire and laying both on the intake. Then start the engine and observe the spark intensity/capacity by gradually pulling one plug and then the other away from the intake watching how far it'll jump. You may want to wear insulating gloves when doing this.
hyundaitech,
You have definately gone above my pay grade. I'll change the plugs and wires, as soon as I get a torque wrench delivered from Amazon. I have everything else, and if there is still a problem, which there probably won't be, I'll bring the car into another dealer. Since, those coils are easier to get to than the back plugs, the charge shouldn't be too much. Although, I am intrigued by the possibility of diagnosing coils arcing. Unless, I just change one at a time.
Is ther a lubricant that has to go onto the threads of the plugs?
Alan
On Thu, 14 May 2009 22:58:49 -0700 (PDT), hyundaitech

That shouldn't be necessary. I can recall exactly one instance (in 17 years) that I've had a serious issue getting plugs in/out of a Hyundai engine.

All right - Alan went and bought himself a torque wrench. Don't stop there Alan - you need to start drooling over a great big compressor, an impact gun, and most of all - a set of torches. You really can't do any meaningful kind of car repair without a hot wrench. Nothing says satisfaction like facing a stubborn, won't budge an inch bolt, and lighting up the torches...
BTW - just remember to always store your torque wrench at its lowest setting.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Not condescending at all Alan. I've been watching your efforts since you first brought up your problems and your concerns and have been encouraging you as you've treked your way through the world of DIY. Happy to see a guy step up to the task. At one point I indicated to you that I admire someone who throws his hand at finxing his own car in this day and age, as it can be quite daunting with today's cars. Most of us have grown through the evolution of cars and have had the advantage of embracing the technology in cars as it came along. That's an easier pill to swallow than jumping right in today, in your own driveway or garage.
As for the compressor or the torches - pure joking around in the manner of people who do their own work. There is this endless pursuit of more tools, as you do more and more on your own. It becomes something of a joking matter as we become tool junkies of sorts. Nothing at all intended to insult you or appear condescending.

You don't have to defend your decisions to do your own work here - that's a big part of what this group is about. Please take a second and re-read my earlier comments from the perspective of being included in a group of people that you are now joining, and hopefully you will see them to be inclusive comments, and not insulting comments.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
hyundaitech wrote:

engine.

Probably. I've never examined an Amanti, but I see no reason why it wouldn't use the same components for ignition.
Do exactly as I am going to do when mine runs out of warranty and mine is a 2002 XG350..... with 37,000 miles on it. In 2012 when the warranty expires, I will drive it until the check engine soon light comes on. At that point it will not be worth spending the ridiculous prices charged for repairs and I will either drive it to or have it towed to a salvage yard for whatever I can get out of it for scrap.
Well Elmo,
I am not sure that I would do what you would do but you are right, after the 10 years is up, you have to be a little nuts to put big money into these cars because a new transmission (I already had one replaced) or engine (I once had to replace an engine on a Mitsubishi Galant at 26,000 miles and it cost $2,500) is not worth the residual value. What bugs me about the car is that you can see how Hyundai chinced out on the leather and didn't put enough on the seats. I noticed the driver's side left air vent is popping out and even the dash bumper seems to be separating.
I do love the way the car handles on wet bridges and it's heavy and safe. I have a new Maxima and the XG300 was never that good a car even though the sales people said, back in 2001, it was not competing against the Camry, the Avalon (which I had before the Hyundai) or the Maxima but against the higher end Lexus 350 and the Infinity. Yeah right. In retrospect the three or four thousand I saved by buying the XG300 over the Maxima was certainly lost in residual value but the guaranty makes up for that. In my next car, I would want a long power train guaranty from a stable company.
The question is, with the economy such as it is, what do you buy or lease? Leasing looks a lot better than buying these days unless you get an incredible bargain. I wonder which car is the easiest to fix or have fixed if there are no dealers and no extended warranties.
Alan
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:19:08 -0500, "Elmo Finsterwald"