2002 Elantra Clutch

A while ago I saw instructions to improve the operation of the chutch on a '02 Elantra. I can not find any referances to the subject now. Would someone please repost those instructions.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
robk

Go to

and check in the DIY section. It's listed as a "Clutch-valvectomy" in the Transmission section. I didn't drain my clutch system as they recommend and it worked fine. In fact, the clutch fluid pushed the spring and valve out, so I didn't have to go fishing for them. Either way, you will need to bleed the clutch, so you'll either need to have a assistant, or make something that will hold the clutch in the depressed position (I just cut a piece of 2x3 lumber to wedge between the depressed clutch pedal and the driver's seat).

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Removal of the pressure valve on a 2002 elantra is relatively simple. When I did this job I already had the transaxle out(read: This 'feature' burned out the clutch on my friends car at 70k) but you could do it with the transaxle in the car just as easily.

Remove the bolts holding the slave cylinder to the transaxle case. Remove the banjo bolt from the end of the slave cylinder, and then turn the slave cylinder so that the pushrod is pointing up and press the release rod slightly. You should see a small metal 'clip' with a small hole in it and a small spring come out of the bottom of release cylinder. Put those parts aside. Re-install the banjo bolt, install the slave cylinder, and then bleed the clutch system to purge any air.

I think you'll find that your clutch acts a lot more like a clutch should after this repair. Hopefully you haven't already scrubbed the life out of the pressure plate and disc. One way to estimate the condition of the clutch is to look at the clutch arm on the transaxle. One side has a stub that will start to hit a boss on the transaxle casting once the clutch wears out. Note that there will still be plenty of meat left on the disc when the arm starts to hit the stop, but the pressure plate cannot fully engage once the arm hits the stop. I went through this routine and while the disc I pulled out still had lots of life left on it, the pressure plate and flywheel were both glazed and burned.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal