2002 Elantra Clutch Slips, No Smell or Noise

Our Elantra 2002 (127,000 miles, original clutch) sometimes does not want to go up hills, even modest ones. Once, while turning onto a steep hill, the car slowed down until it came to a stop, the engine died, and would not start again. After a while, it did, and drew up the hill fine.

On the other hand, sometimes it climbs steep hills without problem.

There is no sound, no juddering, and no smell when these symptoms happen.

Yesterday the car started revving high on a small hill, and would not increase speed above about 20 miles per hour.

I took it to the local garage, whose clutch test made the problem worse immediately afterwards.

This morning the car drew fine again.

Do these symptoms indicate that the clutch needs to be replaced?

How much should we expect to pay?

And did the mechanic's test worsen the symptoms because he did something wrong, or was it just the final straw? Opinions, please!

Reply to
Oregonian

Sounds like slipping.

I've not had a standard shift for a while, but it sounds like the symptoms of a slipping clutch Used to be there was some adjustment, but I don't think that is the case any more.

I'd expect to be in the $500+ range, but this looks cheaper

This looks higher
Doubt the mechanic did anything wrong. Eventually it will not engage at all so don't wait too long or you will add towing charges too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My 2005 went at 140000 miles. Never made a noise or smelled, just didn't go. The hotter the clutch got, the worse the slipping. Sounds like yours is too, it will only get worse. I paid $110 for the kit online and did the work. Look around and you should be able to get it installed for around $300-$400.

Reply to
Tommy

You should easily be able to detect clutch slip because your engine will increase in RPMs but your vehicle speed will not follow the engine. Why your engine would die going up a hill is a mystery and worrisome but seems to be unrelated to your clutch. OTOH, you should probably solve the clutch problem first.

Marginal clutches will start to slip when over-heated. If you're careful about not allowing the clutch to slip by using a gentle throttle on acceleration and deceleration you can keep the clutch cool. Once it overheats and starts slipping, you'll have to wait until it cools down again. People vary considerably on controlling clutch slippage. A gentle driver might have no problem with slipping.

A clutch is typically tested by trying to get clutch slippage. The car is put in high gear and heavy throttle is applied or by downshifting and putting a heavy load on the clutch. This will overheat the clutch but that's the way it's done. OTOH, most drivers should be able to recognize clutch slippage by simply driving the car.

As far as repair goes, first check the clutch linkage to make sure everything is in order. I'd replace the slave cylinder too if that hasn't been done, in addition to the usual parts.

Reply to
dsi1

Sounds like two separate problems,

1) "car started revving high on a small hill" sounds like clutch problems. 2) "slowed down until it came to a stop, the engine died" sounds like a clogged cat.

[...]

Partner

I'd like to thank everyone who responded so far.

In our town, quotes for replacement range from $750 - $974, with one dealer quoting $1,400.

A quote for around $800 includes a lifetime warranty on the clutch kit, resurfacing of the flywheel, and 18 months warranty on labor. The kit was quoted as costing about $279, and the rest is for labor.

I hope that the job is a reasonably simple one that does not require any special tricks related to Hyundai?

Reply to
Oregonian

Thanks to all who contributed.

Quotes in my town start at $750 for parts and labor, with the lowest clutch kit priced at $257. A quote for about $800 includes 18 month warranty on labor and a "lifetime warranty" on the kit.

A dealer in the nearest large city wants $1,400, although another in a nearby closer town also quoted $800.

Reply to
Oregonian

I've never replaced the clutch on a FWD car - that sounds scary. Do you have to pull the engine out?

Reply to
dsi1