2002 Elantra Flex Pipe

An interesting point is that my flex pipe needs to be replaced on my 2002 Elantra.
I find it odd that Hyundai would design the flex pipe to be part of the
catalytic converter and chose not to have this as a seperate piece. The dealer quoted over 750 for the part and an oem part from a local garage was 450. I managed to source a used cat for 130 with low milage.
Perhaps it shouldn't surprise me that what should have been a cheap repair almost became quite an exspensive one.
Has this design been changed on newer vehicles or for that matter other models from hyundai?
On most Hyundais, the flex pipe is separate from the converter. Im not sure why the exhaust was designed the way it was on the Elantra.
Good choice going with the used. I havent been impressed by aftermarket converters.
"jmh_ottawa" wrote: > An interesting point is that my flex pipe needs to be replaced > on my 2002 > Elantra. > > I find it odd that Hyundai would design the flex pipe to be > part of the > catalytic converter and chose not to have this as a seperate > piece. The > dealer quoted over 750 for the part and an oem part from a > local garage > was 450. I managed to source a used cat for 130 with low > milage. > > Perhaps it shouldn't surprise me that what should have been a > cheap repair > almost became quite an exspensive one. > > Has this design been changed on newer vehicles or for that > matter other > models from hyundai?