2002 Elantra TCS

When the TCS is activated does it supposed to sound like it is grinding? It also doesn't always activate.. When I drive in the snow I can spin the
wheels pretty good and it won't even come on, other times it does, but of cousre that lovely grinding sound happens..
Is this common?
The sound you describe is normal. I'm not sure about the frequency of activation.