2002 Elantra VE Manual Transmission oil change:

Good evening,

I've been looking to get my manual 5 speed transmission oil swapped out with some fresh new oil. Well 2/3rd's new by the rule of thumb.

To be honest the illustration and translated english I have in my owners manual makes no sense.

What I would need to know is where are the locations for the drain and filler bolts. The special fluid grade required. I'm 3 hours away from a hyundai dealership/service counter. Would like to avoid the mileage. Also if theirs anything else required in the process such as special washers/gasket replacements while doing the job.

Thanks,

Reply to
Anonymous

There is no filter on the manual transmission. The fluid is typical 70w-90 or 75w-90 gear oil (check your owner's manual for exact specifications). Simply remove the 24mm bolt in the bottom of the transmission to drain. To install the new fluid, you'll need to remove the 17mm bolt in the front of the transmission. But since the hole is small and horizontal, you'll probably need to construct some sort of device to get the oil from the bottle into the bolt hole. With the car on level ground, once the oil begins running out the hole, the transmission is at the proper level.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Its a pain using an manual oil gun to replace it because the oil is so thick. I usually just set up a siphon with the oil container on top of engine and a clear "plastic" hose down into hole. Takes a while but I usually do something else while its happening. Worthwhile putting a container underneath so when you forget it the overflow doesnt go on floor!

Reply to
John

I'm really surprised that you said this, as the required oil is not "typical". The Hyundai transmission requires a GL-4 oil, which is not always available off the shelf at auto parts stores. Most common oils are GL-5 (or marked as GL-4/GL-5), but those will damage the synchronizers if used in a Hyundai tranny. Personally, I use Redline MT-90 synthetic in mine.

FWIW, the new cars are all spec'd to use 75W-85 oil, which is even harder to find. I doubt that it makes much, if any difference, as long as you use a GL-4 oil.

I used a long funnel with a piece of plastic tubing attached. Worked like a charm.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Useful information, I will have a go at changing mine in a 2001 Elantra, for the record do ever check the transmission oil level in between changes.

Reply to
irwell

"I'm really surprised that you said this, as the required oil is not "typical". The Hyundai transmission requires a GL-4 oil, which is not always available off the shelf at auto parts stores. Most common oils are GL-5 (or marked as GL-4/GL-5), but those will damage the synchronizers if used in a Hyundai tranny."

I've not experienced this damage, but we have the factory 75W-85 (Hyudai says this is okay to replace the -90 oil) in quarts, and this is what we install. Bottom line, sticking with the owner's manual is always the best recommendation. Thanks for pointing this out, Brian.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Is the Redline a GL-4 oil?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

No. Unless there's a leak, which I would see on the garage floor, there's nowhere for the oil to go, so the level doesn't change.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Yes, that's why I use it. They also make MTL, which is a slightly lighter weight GL-4 oil.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom