2002 Elantra Wont Start

I just had my 2002 Elantra with 85,000 miles on it stopped starting. I drove it about 30 miles, shut it off for about 30 minutes then restarted it drove it like 2 miles shut it off, to go get a coffee. When I returned the car would not start. All the accesory lights came on, and all the electrics worked but car would not turn over. There was no sound when I tried to start it but the lights dimmed. I had it towed to a Hyundai dealership and they said I might have a broked timing belt. They called me back and said the tech needed 6 hours to break the engine down to diagnose the problem. I had a friend who is a mechanic look at it before they did anything. He told me that the valve cover was off and the timing belt was OK. He thinks it is the starter, but they flat out told me it was not and that I might need a new engine for $4600, and that my Warrenty wont cover it because I did not replace the timing belt. They also said they think the engine siezed. I never had an indication it seized no lights, noise, smoke, smell, nothing. Anybody know if there are trying to rip me off?? And what the Real problem is?????

Reply to
jglass75

Jody

Reply to
Jody

Based on the symptoms you describe, I would immediately suspect a starter problem, especially if the engine was running normally before you shut it off the last time. That doesn't mean that the timing belt hasn't failed, but I would be VERY suspicious of the dealer. It doesn't take anywhere near 6 hours to diagnose a timing belt issue, since replacing it only takes a couple at most. Whether it failed or not, you should have it replaced.

I almost hesitate to ask, but are you a woman or elderly by any chance? It sounds to me like the dealer is trying to take advantage of you, using the fact that you haven't replaced the timing belt as a convenient excuse to empty your bank account.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I don't believe this statment is true. I was in a family member's Ford when their timing belt broke, and turning the key made no sound at all. In fact we thought it was the starter because of this, but ultimately turned out to be a very expensive repair.

It is interesting that the OP didn't mention hearing any unusual sounds when they stopped for coffee. When the timing belt broke in the above-mentioned Ford, there was a definite loud clunk as metal parts hit other metal parts. Ouch.

Reply to
Neil

Either place could be correct. Since your car is at the dealer, find out from them what they know for sure at the moment. I.e., do they know what the root cause of the problem is? Have they determined anything that definitely needs to be done? Have they determined anything that's definitely not the problem? It sounds to me like they've already established it's a timing belt problem. 6 hours labor is about the right amount of time to remove the cylinder head to check the engine. That would be consistent with knowing the timing belt has stripped or broken and the engine is out of time.

Since your friend looked at it, find out if he knows any of the following: Will the engine turn by hand? Is the timing belt is not stripped in a location he cannot see, and is the engine properly timed?

Bottom line, you should go with whomever is trustworthy and competent. That could be either or neither.

Reply to
hyundaitech