2002 Hyundai died

My 2002 Sonata was giving me no trouble at all, but recently it died as I was driving it, as if I had turned it off. It won?t restart, and just clicks if I turn the key. All accessories work. My mechanic says it?s internal in the engine and he can?t get it to crank either. I need to take it to the dealer, but I want to know what I?m up against first. Any help?

Reply to
tom315

Did it make any loud noises when it quit? If not, then I doubt it is something internal to the engine. Clicking but not cranking is often an indication of low battery voltage. How old is your battery? Has its voltage been checked?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

can you turn the engine over by hand?

how many miles?

is the timing belt broken?

Reply to
nothermark

It made no noises. It just quit. My mechanic couldn?t crank it by hand, and the battery?s fine. All accessories worked, and it never was hard to start. Besides, a weak battery wouldn?t cause it to stall.

"nothermark" wrote: > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:34:58 GMT, Matt Whiting > > wrote: > > >tom315 wrote: > >

Reply to
tom315

Also, it has 81,000 miles, and my mechanic checked all the obvious: battery, timing belt, etc.

"nothermark" wrote: > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:34:58 GMT, Matt Whiting > > wrote: > > >tom315 wrote: > >

Reply to
tom315

You mechanic checked the timing belt? It seems odd to me that a mechanic would get that far in and then simply tell you it must be something internal.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I agree with a couple of the other posters - sounds VERY MUCH like a timing belt to me.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Crank sensor? Why doesn't he run a computer diagnosis?

RIPPER FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE! BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA SPORT TOURING!

Reply to
CBX2

If the engine won't turn do to some sort of internal issue (possibly caused by pistons hitting valves after the timing belt broke), you should hear more of a clunking sound than a clicking noise. If you've got a four cylinder, I'd be *very* suspicious of the timing belt.

The way you describe the noise makes it sound like a partially discharged battery. While a weak battery won't make the car stall, a defective alternator will discharge the battery and make the car stall.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
orlandosun

Hi tom I had the same problem on an accent it totally bafflerd me until a repair man siad alternator fitted new one now ok it apparently bled the battery and of course then the engine stopped dead best of luck I found all hyundai electrics a problem and I am a ships electrical engieer jsteve

Reply to
orlandosun