2002 Hyundai died

My 2002 Sonata was giving me no trouble at all, but recently it died as I was driving it, as if I had turned it off. It wont restart, and just clicks if I turn the key. All accessories work. My mechanic says
its internal in the engine and he cant get it to crank either. I need to take it to the dealer, but I want to know what Im up against first. Any help?
tom315 wrote:

Did it make any loud noises when it quit? If not, then I doubt it is something internal to the engine. Clicking but not cranking is often an indication of low battery voltage. How old is your battery? Has its voltage been checked?
Matt

can you turn the engine over by hand?
how many miles?
is the timing belt broken?
It made no noises. It just quit. My mechanic couldnt crank it by hand, and the batterys fine. All accessories worked, and it never was hard to start. Besides, a weak battery wouldnt cause it to stall.
"nothermark" wrote: > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:34:58 GMT, Matt Whiting
> wrote: > > >tom315 wrote: > > > >> My 2002 Sonata was giving me no trouble at all, but > recently it died > >> as I was driving it, as if I had turned it off. It wont > restart, and > >> just clicks if I turn the key. All accessories work. My > mechanic says > >> its internal in the engine and he cant get it to crank > either. I > >> need to take it to the dealer, but I want to know what Im > up against > >> first. Any help? > > > >Did it make any loud noises when it quit? If not, then I > doubt it is > >something internal to the engine. Clicking but not cranking > is often an > > indication of low battery voltage. How old is your > battery? Has its > >voltage been checked? > > > > > >Matt > > can you turn the engine over by hand? > > how many miles? > > is the timing belt broken?
Also, it has 81,000 miles, and my mechanic checked all the obvious: battery, timing belt, etc.
"nothermark" wrote: > On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:34:58 GMT, Matt Whiting
> wrote: > > >tom315 wrote: > > > >> My 2002 Sonata was giving me no trouble at all, but > recently it died > >> as I was driving it, as if I had turned it off. It wont > restart, and > >> just clicks if I turn the key. All accessories work. My > mechanic says > >> its internal in the engine and he cant get it to crank > either. I > >> need to take it to the dealer, but I want to know what Im > up against > >> first. Any help? > > > >Did it make any loud noises when it quit? If not, then I > doubt it is > >something internal to the engine. Clicking but not cranking > is often an > > indication of low battery voltage. How old is your > battery? Has its > >voltage been checked? > > > > > >Matt > > can you turn the engine over by hand? > > how many miles? > > is the timing belt broken?

You mechanic checked the timing belt? It seems odd to me that a mechanic would get that far in and then simply tell you it must be something internal.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Crank sensor? Why doesn't he run a computer diagnosis?
RIPPER FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE! BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA SPORT TOURING!
If the engine won't turn do to some sort of internal issue (possibly caused by pistons hitting valves after the timing belt broke), you should hear more of a clunking sound than a clicking noise. If you've got a four cylinder, I'd be *very* suspicious of the timing belt.
The way you describe the noise makes it sound like a partially discharged battery. While a weak battery won't make the car stall, a defective alternator will discharge the battery and make the car stall.
tom315 wrote:

tom315 wrote:

Hi tom I had the same problem on an accent it totally bafflerd me until a repair man siad alternator fitted new one now ok it apparently bled the battery and of course then the engine stopped dead best of luck I found all hyundai electrics a problem and I am a ships electrical engieer jsteve