2002 Hyundai Elantra- How to Adjust the Drum Brakes

Are these self adjusting and if so how does it work - by using the emergency brake lever?
Thanks

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:43:46 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

They're designed to gradually self-adjust with parking brake or service brake usage, but my experience is that this system rarely functions as designed.
Thanks for the quick reply.
If they are working as designed, does it matter is the vehicle is going forward or in reverse while applying the brake?

Don't know about Hyundai, but other cars I've had, it adjusted when in reverse.
I thought I had made a reply here, but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure it adjusts in one direction and not the other. As I think about the mechanism, it seems like it would adjust in reverse, but I'm less sure of that.
If you plan on using this method because they're out of adjustment, it'll take quite a while even if they are working. I usually just pull the drums off and turn the star wheels until I get the desired adjustment by trial and error.
Thanks for all the information